You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound when external monitor connected

Well known problem, when I connect my iPad to external screen via usb-c dvi cable, I get no sound. Monitor itself doesn’t have speakers, and iPad shows Dock Connector on sound volume slide and doesn’t play any sound. Looks like a bug in iOS.

iPad Air (5th generation)

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 3:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 7:28 AM

I’m using typical computer monitor without speakers, and I know I can use external wireless speakers, but it’s not a solution. My iPad has good speakers, so why sound can’t be played on that speakers? Every other device can do it, only iPad can’t. It’s typical bug in iPadOS and should be fixed, but as I know Apple, they’ll never admit it’s their fault.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 22, 2023 7:28 AM in response to mikeg28806

I’m using typical computer monitor without speakers, and I know I can use external wireless speakers, but it’s not a solution. My iPad has good speakers, so why sound can’t be played on that speakers? Every other device can do it, only iPad can’t. It’s typical bug in iPadOS and should be fixed, but as I know Apple, they’ll never admit it’s their fault.

Jun 21, 2023 4:56 PM in response to MiL999

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities MiL999,

If the screen you're using has audio output, try connecting speakers or an audio device to see whether audio plays for you.

Otherwise, try wirelessly streaming audio to an available device using the steps outlined on the following page:

To select the playback destination, you can also tap the Playback Destination button on the Lock Screen or in Control Center.

Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio from your iPad to a Mac

Cheers!

No sound when external monitor connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.