Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Wired Apple CarPlay disconnecting on 2022 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid

Wired CarPlay disconnects on my 2022 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid when using my iPhone 13 Pro while I am talking on the phone, listening to Podcasts, etc.

i tried to narrow down the issue by trying a new Apple cable, duplicated the issue with an iPhone 12, used an air compressor to blow out the lightning port on both the iPhone & the USB port on the car, but the issue remains.

When will this issue be fixed??? It’s obviously a problem with many users with different phones and cars models.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 9:52 PM

Same issue on my 2021rav4, annoying that a $40,000 car with CarPlay worked great but all of the sudden a month or so ago stopped working. There needs to be a recall. It's dangerous having your gps constantly disconnects, fumble to see where you are going.

for me volume up or down adjustment make CarPlay disconnect. When listening to music CarPlay disconnects 3-4 times a song. While using google maps it constantly disconnects.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2023 9:52 PM in response to umalum

Same issue on my 2021rav4, annoying that a $40,000 car with CarPlay worked great but all of the sudden a month or so ago stopped working. There needs to be a recall. It's dangerous having your gps constantly disconnects, fumble to see where you are going.

for me volume up or down adjustment make CarPlay disconnect. When listening to music CarPlay disconnects 3-4 times a song. While using google maps it constantly disconnects.

Sep 17, 2023 5:03 AM in response to Pbac40

I agree with a recall. I said this to the dealership yesterday and also said it’s dangerous. My husband pointed out this issue started in the last 3-5 months, What frustrated me about the dealer’s response is that when they explained that the problem is evolving to be a broader issue with recent Rav4s, they didn’t say they planned to do anything about it, sort of a watch and wait plan. I don’t think it’s appropriate that the onus should be on an individual consumer. A business that makes thousands of dollars selling these cars should take the responsibility of advocating on behalf of their customers.

Sep 16, 2023 1:50 PM in response to umalum

This is the absolute worst. I have the same issue and the dealer I bought it from confirmed the problem. I legitimately wouldn’t have bought this car if I knew this. Even when it’s connected I can’t adjust volume or use wheel controls. So frustrating to hear there is no answer. I’m going to call Toyota corporate office.

Aug 17, 2023 9:56 AM in response to umalum

My boyfriend and I have updated iPhone 14 pros and CarPlay constantly cuts out on our phones. Changing the volume will stop and start a song. I have to unplug it and talk directly on the phone when I get a call because it cuts in and out. I’ve tried new cords and got my charger port cleaned out. I called apple support and went to Toyota and neither had solutions. My little brother has an older iPhone with not enough storage to update and CarPlay works perfectly fine on his so I’m sure it’s an update issue.

Jun 24, 2023 12:39 PM in response to umalum

Hello umalum,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

There are several factors that could impact the connection in your car. To isolate this further, you can forget the car from your iPhone in Settings > General > CarPlay > [stereo name].

We also recommend to forget the iPhone as well. For help with that reference your stereo user guide.

Additional steps that can help may be found here: If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

If the same behavior occurs, reach out to Apple for additional troubleshooting assistance at: Get Support

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Jun 24, 2023 12:54 PM in response to umalum

If it's happening with multiple iPhones and multiple known good cables, the issue is probably the head unit in the car or the USB port.

Toyota is notorious for taking shortcuts in their head units that don't abide by the APIs for both CarPlay and Android Auto, causing them to misbehave or flat out not function when the devices are updated.

Nov 12, 2023 3:26 PM in response to umalum

I have a 2020 RAV 4 Hybrid and jusy got a new iPhone 14. My old iPhone was fine, it charged, played music, GPS, and was reliable using Car Play. Now the new iPhone 14 loses connection every 5 minutes. My guess is a power issue. the only change I made was a new power cord with an adapter USB-USB -C. I'm calling Toyota tomorrow. Please keep updates coming if anyone gets a fix.

Apr 10, 2024 10:51 AM in response to umalum

Hello All: the same issue is happening on our new 2023 Rav4. We are using Bluetooth technology to link the car radio with the iPhone. We have iPhone 8 & 13. We have taken it to the dealer multiple times but they can't replicate the problem. We have also called Toyota Corporate offices but no resolution. This beyond frustrating and as another post said dangerous when using the GPS and it drops. Calls drop as well.

Has anyone found a resolution????

Wired Apple CarPlay disconnecting on 2022 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.