How to Clear or reset the "Open With" list

Is this the best way to clear the "Open With" list or is there a more straight-forward method?

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/remove-items-open-with-macos/

Since I updated to Ventura 13.4.1 My "Open With" list shows all versions of Firefox from version 110 to 114 and several Vivaldi versions in which I rarely ever use. I ran Onyx and it didn't fix it. Neither did resetting Recent Items to zero and then back to 5 again. Which did work previous to this version of Ventura. Here’s my list: (For .webloc files on the Desktop, when I right click, "Open With" )

Should I report this as a bug to: Feedback - macOS - Apple ?

iMac 24″

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 8:18 AM

Boot your Apple Silicon Mac into Safe Boot mode which will rebuild the application launch database and clear up those menu items. Reboot normally afterward.

If you still have all of these various versions of applications still installed in different folder locations, then the first paragraph will not clean up that open with menu as they remain legitimate applications in the filesystem.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2023 8:18 AM in response to Randall_2023

Boot your Apple Silicon Mac into Safe Boot mode which will rebuild the application launch database and clear up those menu items. Reboot normally afterward.

If you still have all of these various versions of applications still installed in different folder locations, then the first paragraph will not clean up that open with menu as they remain legitimate applications in the filesystem.

Jun 23, 2023 11:24 AM in response to VikingOSX

Yes sir! That was the fix. I should have thought of that but was convinced this was way out of normal. Seems like this might be a nuisance, though, if it continues. I only had(have) one copy of those apps and are in Applications. No sub folders of apps either. Thanks so much for the assist! Wonder why Onyx didn't do it. Am using the most current version of 4.4.0. Oh well!

Jun 24, 2023 5:11 AM in response to dialabrain

I did and thought it had fixed it but the problem returned. Also, after I reboot, the list is short as expected but in a few minutes, the list comes back to the long duplicated list. I will try logging in as a new admin user and also in safe mode to see if the problem comes back which will at least determine if it's isolated to my default user account or not. This is just an annoying problem but not a serious problem. I guess!

How to Clear or reset the "Open With" list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.