 tv turns on when I ask Siri to play music thru homepod

since one of these iOS 16 update(I don’t remember which one) when I ask Siri to play music to the HomePod and my HomePod minis my  tv turns on. This use to never turn on before, and yes I had my HomePod set up to run the sound on my tv, but all of a sudden after one of these updates everything got turned around. How can I have the HomePod play music without having the  tv come on, and still have the HomePod run the sound of the tv?

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2024 2:47 AM

This problem just started happening for me today. I've had two HomePods connected as default audio output to my AppleTV for 2 years and the TV has never come on when requesting music until today.

I've checked Airplay settings, Home settings, reset the HomePods and nothing has fixed the issue. Anyone found a solution?

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2024 2:47 AM in response to turingtest2

This problem just started happening for me today. I've had two HomePods connected as default audio output to my AppleTV for 2 years and the TV has never come on when requesting music until today.

I've checked Airplay settings, Home settings, reset the HomePods and nothing has fixed the issue. Anyone found a solution?

Mar 9, 2024 6:44 AM in response to Punka$$CG

I don't know why you've been lucky until now, but I'm pretty sure that things have worked this way for a long time. Almost since the default speaker option was introduced. I can't test this myself right now. My Apple TV 4 HD won't let me choose default speakers, and my ATV 4K(v1) can't turn on the TV it is connected to for reasons unknown, so that wouldn't be a legitimate test.

tt2

May 14, 2024 6:06 PM in response to tvturnsonwhenyouwantmusictopl

I’ve had this problem since the first generation of home pod (the original big one) so I’ve had to unpair all my HomePod speakers & only airplay to them when I want to use them in conjunction to my Apple TV. The only other thing I can think of is in my music settings I have it set to play music videos too. So maybe by default it try’s to play on the Apple TV? Idk.

Jun 9, 2024 6:03 PM in response to tvturnsonwhenyouwantmusictopl

I might have found the solution to this! Just ensure your AppleMusic App is exited in ATV (double press on your option button to swipe off AppleMusic or Podcast). Then open other random app and switch off your ATV.

try play your music thru your iPhone AppleMusic App. It should work without turning on your ATV.

worked for me! Good luck!

I’m on latest iOS 17.5.1

 tv turns on when I ask Siri to play music thru homepod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.