Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Automatic date and time problem on Mac Book air M1

Hello, I have systematically a problem with the automatic date and time adjustment. Every time I set “automatic” it returns 09.04.22. Today is 24.06.23… all possible normal hints already tested: different servers, os update, reboot, privacy settings (use of location), etc. Anyone with similar problem or better with solution? Thanks a lot!!!

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2024 10:32 AM

Here is how to fix it for good! Go to Settings>General>Date & Time and turn off set time and date automatically. Go to Macintosh HD in finder (you might have to enable it to show in the sidebar in Finder settings), press command + shift + . in the folder to show hidden folders. Click var>db look for timed folder. To unlock timed folder right click on it to Get info, unlock at the bottom right to make changes, then change Privilege for everyone to Read & Write. In timed folder delete com.apple.timed.plist file. Restart your computer and turn auto time back on and it's fixed! This can happen on any computer not just he Macbook Air.

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2024 10:32 AM in response to Clock_Failure_macbook

Here is how to fix it for good! Go to Settings>General>Date & Time and turn off set time and date automatically. Go to Macintosh HD in finder (you might have to enable it to show in the sidebar in Finder settings), press command + shift + . in the folder to show hidden folders. Click var>db look for timed folder. To unlock timed folder right click on it to Get info, unlock at the bottom right to make changes, then change Privilege for everyone to Read & Write. In timed folder delete com.apple.timed.plist file. Restart your computer and turn auto time back on and it's fixed! This can happen on any computer not just he Macbook Air.

Jan 28, 2024 10:36 AM in response to monsterstacks

Mar 16, 2024 3:45 PM in response to Clock_Failure_macbook

I know this is kind of an older problem but I just ran into it myself after my Mac automatically updated to macOS Sonoma 4.1 and ran out of battery because it hadn't been used for a while. I figured out a way to solve it after Apple Support was no help, so I thought I'd share it here in case it might still help someone. What fixed it for me was turning off the automatic date and time adjustment and setting the time manually (exactly to the second) which allowed me to connect to the internet again and subsequently download and install the macOS Sonoma 4.4 Update which seems to fix the bug. After that, I just turned the automatic time adjustment back on and it worked fine.

Jan 28, 2024 10:31 AM in response to Lizzy1234Z

Jun 25, 2023 12:17 PM in response to Clock_Failure_macbook

Hello Clock_Failure_macbook,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

For help with the date and time on your Mac being incorrect we recommend following the steps below to see if we can get it corrected to the correct time.

1. "Make sure that your Mac is connected to the internet.
  2. Open Location Services settings and make sure that Location Services is turned on. Then scroll to the bottom of the list of apps and services and click the Details button next to System Services. Make sure that "Time zone and system customization" is turned on.
  3. Open Date & Time settings and make sure that the option to set time and date automatically, as well as the option to set time zone automatically, are turned on.
  4. Restart your Mac.

Set the date and time manually

If your device still shows an incorrect date, time, or time zone, change each setting manually instead of using Set Automatically. For example, you might have iOS 9 or earlier, and your country or region, or government changes the time zone or the observance of daylight saving time.

On your Mac

Open Date & Time settings and turn off the option to set time and date automatically, as well as the option to set time zone automatically. You can then set time, date, and time zone manually."

If you can't change the time or time zone on your Apple device

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Mar 10, 2024 7:07 PM in response to Clock_Failure_macbook

Here's an easy fix that worked for my MacBook M1 (3/10/24)

Open System Settings > General > Date and Time. Make sure the 'Set automatically' button is toggled on, and where it says 'Source' click 'Set". Here you should see the default 'Apple (time.apple.com)'. Here you want to delete the source and re-type it exactly as it was, then hit the 'Default' button. It should update with the correct date and time then. Hope this helps!

Automatic date and time problem on Mac Book air M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.