Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

My battery will not charge intermittently

My macbook's battery will not charge sometimes when plugged in - it won't even register that it's plugged in. I keep resetting PRAM and SMC, but nothing works. The battery only starts charging when the battery dies. When this happens, it registers that it's charging immediately and I can use it. Does anyone know why this keeps happening?

MacBook (2017)

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 6:07 AM

If you Mac is a 2017 model, the battery could be degraded to the point of this happening.

What's the remaining capacity? I use coconutBattery to get the data. Cycle count is not relevant; only remaining capacity. And if it's at 80% or less the battery needs to be replaced.

If it's greater than 80% you have other issues.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2023 6:07 AM in response to casperjrlu

If you Mac is a 2017 model, the battery could be degraded to the point of this happening.

What's the remaining capacity? I use coconutBattery to get the data. Cycle count is not relevant; only remaining capacity. And if it's at 80% or less the battery needs to be replaced.

If it's greater than 80% you have other issues.

My battery will not charge intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.