hardware problems?

i just copped myself a macbook 2013 11"inch

tries to start it up and it is in "cmd R" mode

i try to install mac os x mountain lion. it is not possible because there is no drive to select

i go to disk utility, it is a grey disk. i cannot do anything whatsoever with it. pls help and give any tips. i am willing to try everything.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 12:41 PM

I do not understand what that means but any Mac from that era was built do recognize Mac OS Extended disk formats, so if it has been upgraded to a more recent macOS version it will not recognize newer disk formats.

I do understand the Mac is in Recovery mode, but Disk Utility shows no disk on which to install macOS. The solution is to boot macOS Recovery and use Disk Utility to completely erase the device.

Follow these instructions: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Pay attention to Steps 3 and 4: Be sure to choose View > Show All Devices. The "Device" in its context refers to the entire storage device, meaning not a volume or partition subordinate to that device. For the file system format (Step 6) select Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then, you can quit Disk Utility, which returns to the main Utilities screen. Proceed to reinstall macOS.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2023 12:41 PM in response to otaku23

I do not understand what that means but any Mac from that era was built do recognize Mac OS Extended disk formats, so if it has been upgraded to a more recent macOS version it will not recognize newer disk formats.

I do understand the Mac is in Recovery mode, but Disk Utility shows no disk on which to install macOS. The solution is to boot macOS Recovery and use Disk Utility to completely erase the device.

Follow these instructions: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Pay attention to Steps 3 and 4: Be sure to choose View > Show All Devices. The "Device" in its context refers to the entire storage device, meaning not a volume or partition subordinate to that device. For the file system format (Step 6) select Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then, you can quit Disk Utility, which returns to the main Utilities screen. Proceed to reinstall macOS.

hardware problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.