disconnecting the old user?

Ive taken over my brothers old laptop, I've changed the Apple ID to my own but he is still connected to this one while using his other MacBook so I kee getting his files and vice versa , how do I disconnect his old Apple ID without deleting his active one that he uses, and is it possible to do so without having to completely reset this laptop so I don't lose all my files I have on here?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 7:03 AM

marije69 wrote:

Ive taken over my brothers old laptop, I've changed the Apple ID to my own but he is still connected to this one while using his other MacBook so I kee getting his files and vice versa , how do I disconnect his old Apple ID without deleting his active one that he uses, and is it possible to do so without having to completely reset this laptop so I don't lose all my files I have on here?

Your brother has to do this to the old computer: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2023 7:03 AM in response to marije69

marije69 wrote:

Your brother has to do this to the old computer: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Jun 25, 2023 6:14 AM in response to marije69

Sounds like he's still synced to the Mac.

Remove his user: System Preferences > User and Groups > Highlight his user and remove it. If you wish to NOT keep his data, select to NOT keep his Home folder.

If he ever needs to use the machine again, you can create him a standard user. Before deleting his Home folder, conform he has all his old data and will lose nothing.

Synchronization is accomplished via the Apple ID. Remove all references of his Apple ID and the syncing will stop.

disconnecting the old user?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.