Risks to leaving the setting - “allow access when unlocked” enabled for Siri?

I’m trying to find where Apple documents what the security implications are of leaving the setting - “allow access when unlocked” enabled for Siri? My recollection is that Apple, intended this feature to work such that it leaves a phone essentially (for the most part) secure even with this setting enabled if someone gets a hold of your phone, even if you haven’t successfully disabled it via iCloud connectivity/FindMy. so I’m wondering if that’s still the case or if perhaps they gave up on that intention. Without that info I can’t make an informed decision. to be clear I’m looking for documented information not just an opinion.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 11:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 11:29 PM

I don’t believe it’s possible to unlock an iPhone (when locked) using Siri.

As someone who works in the security field, I always advised not having this setting enabled. Although they cannot unlock the device, they can ask for certain information without the device being unlocked, such as your name, or send text messages. It also appears Siri can start phone calls.

From the brief test I did, Siri does do a good job and not leaking your address, other information, and blocking certain operations (turning off Wi-Fi) without the iPhone being unlocked. In fact, she’ll ask you to unlock the device before pursing.

However, my advice is to limit almost all features when the iPhone is locked.

1. Disable Siri when the iPhone is locked
  2. Disable Control Center
  3. Do not allow Message / Notification previews when the device is locked.

These are obviously extreme actions to take, but also warrant your phone unusable if ever stolen / lost. Unless the thief really likes the camera or flashlight 🙂

Again as someone who works in cybersecurity, these are the actions I take under Face ID & Passcode.

If you’re looking to make your device more secure, take back your privacy, I’d be happy to share more of what I’ve learned over the years.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2023 11:29 PM in response to MrElvey

I don’t believe it’s possible to unlock an iPhone (when locked) using Siri.

As someone who works in the security field, I always advised not having this setting enabled. Although they cannot unlock the device, they can ask for certain information without the device being unlocked, such as your name, or send text messages. It also appears Siri can start phone calls.

From the brief test I did, Siri does do a good job and not leaking your address, other information, and blocking certain operations (turning off Wi-Fi) without the iPhone being unlocked. In fact, she’ll ask you to unlock the device before pursing.

However, my advice is to limit almost all features when the iPhone is locked.

1. Disable Siri when the iPhone is locked
  2. Disable Control Center
  3. Do not allow Message / Notification previews when the device is locked.

These are obviously extreme actions to take, but also warrant your phone unusable if ever stolen / lost. Unless the thief really likes the camera or flashlight 🙂

Again as someone who works in cybersecurity, these are the actions I take under Face ID & Passcode.

If you’re looking to make your device more secure, take back your privacy, I’d be happy to share more of what I’ve learned over the years.

Jun 27, 2023 6:15 AM in response to MrElvey

MrElvey wrote:

This makes me think it may be very risky : Siri can open my iPhone when it’s locked - Apple Community
But it’s unclear. there was no resolution.

The person in that thread most likely was having their phone unlocked with FaceID. They said it happened when they activated Siri using the side button. So, unless they were holding the phone face down when they did this, they were looking at the screen.

This is something you can easily test on your own phone.

Jul 13, 2023 1:33 PM in response to MrElvey

Appreciate the helpful info from both of you, but the question remains unanswered.

Especially as the not-quite-implications are that the security implications are of leaving the setting - “allow access when unlocked” enabled for Siri are not significant or significant depending on which response I look at. Not your faults, I presume, but Apple's.

Aug 11, 2023 6:50 AM in response to MrElvey

Apple is always monitoring and patching security on all of its devices. They will continue to do so. Make sure that you install updates as they become available.

What you asked questions about is not a vulnerability that needs to be patched. You already have the option to turn off Siri's access on the lock screen if you believe it is not the right choice for you.

Risks to leaving the setting - “allow access when unlocked” enabled for Siri?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.