Child iPad requires password to download apps even though “require password” is set to “don’t require”

I have been battling app requests from my child always requiring a password, sometimes 3-4 times even when entered correctly. Even app updates or redownloading a previously downloaded app require him to enter a password.

I have already tried signing him out of his Apple ID, restarted the iPad, sign him back in. That didn’t work.

all iDevices in the house are on the latest version of software

I have app sharing on for family

I have “ask to buy” set to on.

I have “iTunes and AppStore purchases” —> “require password” set to “don’t require”.

I cannot seem to find a straight answer and it seems I’m not the only one struggling with this issue as there are many many others throughout the years on this and other forums asking the same question…all with the same generic “sign out / in” and “turn off and on again” answer.

This has this a bug? And more importantly how can this be actually resolved?

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 6:47 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 29, 2023 1:48 PM in response to Supersport05

Hello Supersport05,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand the importance of getting this issue resolved, and we’d be happy to help. 

To get started, check if your child’s iPad supports Face ID, or Touch ID. They can use these features to unlock their device or replace most requirements to enter a password when downloading or updating an app.

Use Touch ID to unlock your iPhone or make purchases
After you set up Touch ID, you can use Touch ID to unlock your iPhone. Just press the Touch ID sensor using the finger that you registered with Touch ID.
Paying for a song in the iTunes Store using Touch ID

Make purchases with Touch ID
You can use Touch ID instead of your Apple ID password to make purchases in the iTunes Store, App Store, and Apple Books. Just follow these steps:
1. Make sure that iTunes & App Store is turned on under Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. If you can't turn it on, you might need to sign in with your Apple ID in Settings > iTunes & App Store.
2. Open the iTunes Store, App Store, or Apple Books.
3. Tap something to buy. You'll receive a Touch ID prompt.
4. To make a purchase, lightly touch the Touch ID sensor.

Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad

Use Face ID in the iTunes Store, App Store, and Book Store in Apple Books
Confirming a purchase in the App Store on iPhone 

To use Face ID to purchase content from the iTunes Store, App Store, and Book Store, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode and make sure that iTunes & App Store is turned on. Then follow these steps:
1. Open the iTunes Store, App Store, or Book Store, then tap something that you want to buy.
2. When asked to pay, double-click the side button, then glance at your iPhone or iPad. If you're wearing a face mask that covers your mouth and nose but Face ID with a mask isn't set up, tap Pay with Passcode and enter your passcode instead.
3. Wait for Done and a checkmark to display.
You might be asked to enter your Apple ID password for the first purchase you make in the iTunes Store, App Store, or Book Store.

Use Face ID on your iPhone or iPad Pro

If that didn't help, we'd recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: Get Support

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Oct 15, 2023 4:54 PM in response to Supersport05

I just dealt with this today setting up my kids' new phones. I got it working how you (and I) think it should be working. It was by trial and error, so if I leave something out that I didn't realize I did, and it ends up being important to get it working, it may not work for you. Here's what I did.

From my MacBook, I turned off screen time so I can get access to all the settings directly on my kids' phones. On their phones, I went to settings, tapped on my child's Apple ID name (you can't do this with screen time on; the Apple ID name is greyed out), tapped media and purchases, tapped password settings and checked the item that says "don't require a password when you download free items" or something like that (I can't remember the exact wording).

Next, I went back to my MacBook and turned back on screen time. I made sure the screen time passcode was turned on; it defaulted to off after I turned screen time off and back on again. Then I went back to my child's device to make sure his id was greyed out, opened his app store, and tried to install a free app. It did prompt me to enter his Apple ID password, which I did. However, right after I submitted the password, another Apple dialog box came up that asked if I wanted to save the password for future free purchases. I selected yes, and now my kids can download and install free apps without having to enter their Apple ID password. And, I did not have to setup fingerprint or facial recognition for them. The phones use passcode only.

Hope this works for you.

Child iPad requires password to download apps even though “require password” is set to “don’t require”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.