iOS edit contact card - change defaults

I have seen this brought up over the last 6 years, but I have not been able to find a resolution. I want to be able to change what default fields come up when I add a new contact. I am almost always adding them on my iPhone rather than my iPad or Mac. If there is not a way to do this already, I would like to submit a feature request. I want a way to edit the contact card template. Even better - I would like to be able to edit the template for each contact group that I have, and when I add a contact, I am asked which group I want to add the contact to. I know that I can do this in other apps, but I really prefer to not use redundant apps, if there is already a native app that can/should handle my needs.

Perfect world iOS Contacts scenario:

Business Contact Group - the department, job description and nickname is always toward the top, rather than hidden under add field. *bonus - the ability to add a relationship to an existing contact (like modern CRMs do).

Personal Contact Group - birthdays, anniversaries, social media can be placed near the top, and the business-related info gets nest under add field. *bonus - relationships could be useful here as well to answer the question "why is this person in my contacts list? How do I know this person?"

When adding the contact, we could be prompted not only to select the group, but also to select relationships.

Anyway, is there a way to edit the default contact fields now?

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 10:26 AM

1 reply

Jun 29, 2023 12:55 AM in response to SurfsideCreative

Hi SurfsideCreative

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "iOS edit contact card - change defaults"

Here's the current info for the iPhone "Contacts" App:

There is no way that i know of to edit the default contacts fields for all new contacts.

Found this discussion thread on a similar topic from a few years ago:

(Seems there may be some things you can change in Settings:)

How to change the default fields when add… - Apple Community

Also:

How to: Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

This is the Feedback form to reach those who work behind the scenes at Apple. They will likely not reply, yet your feedback will reach those who can make changes. If others are requesting similar changes, change is more likely.

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

All the best :-)

iOS edit contact card - change defaults

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.