Lost iPhone and deleting iCloud

I lost my iPhone and someone took it, so I erased the device in my iCloud. However, someone just called me pretending to be an Apple worker, and told me that someone had brought the phone in, and they need my phone password to prove that it is mine and was stolen, and as such I gave them the password. They did not pick up anymore which is why I'm assuming I've been scammed. Now that they have my password, do they have access to everything I had in my phone? Or did deleting my device mean the phone won't have any of my previous content on it?

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 11:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 11:19 PM

iPhone will erase itself only when connected to the internet.

If you have activated the "Erase iPhone" option through Find My iPhone/iCloud and the device is not connected to the internet, there is no way to stop the erase remotely.

The erase command is sent to your device as a pending action, waiting for the device to establish an internet connection. Once the device comes online, it will receive the command to erase itself, and it will proceed with the process even if you find it before that happens.

If you are concerned about the data on your lost device, I recommend contacting your local law enforcement agency and providing them with the necessary information. They may be able to assist you in recovering your device. Additionally, it is advisable to change your passwords for any accounts associated with the lost device to protect your personal information.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2023 11:19 PM in response to christina_a1

iPhone will erase itself only when connected to the internet.

If you have activated the "Erase iPhone" option through Find My iPhone/iCloud and the device is not connected to the internet, there is no way to stop the erase remotely.

The erase command is sent to your device as a pending action, waiting for the device to establish an internet connection. Once the device comes online, it will receive the command to erase itself, and it will proceed with the process even if you find it before that happens.

If you are concerned about the data on your lost device, I recommend contacting your local law enforcement agency and providing them with the necessary information. They may be able to assist you in recovering your device. Additionally, it is advisable to change your passwords for any accounts associated with the lost device to protect your personal information.

Lost iPhone and deleting iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.