Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Is there a way to eliminate popup that alerts an AirTag is being used?

I am hiding an AirTag in my car as a means for recovery when the car would be stolen. Much to my dismay, a message popped-up on my wife's iPhone to make her aware of there being an AirTag when she used the car. That totally defeats the purpose because the iPhone carrying thief would become aware of it, too. What can I do about this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 3:51 PM

Nothing. That is the way it works. It prevents unlawful tracking of people. Apple would be committing a crime if it did not alert of an AirTag being used to track an unknowing target.

You either remove the AirTag before she uses the car, or she just has to put up with the warning.

Click here ➜ What to do if you get an alert that an AirTag, Find My network accessory, or set of AirPods is with you - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 3:51 PM in response to Seajet

Nothing. That is the way it works. It prevents unlawful tracking of people. Apple would be committing a crime if it did not alert of an AirTag being used to track an unknowing target.

You either remove the AirTag before she uses the car, or she just has to put up with the warning.

Click here ➜ What to do if you get an alert that an AirTag, Find My network accessory, or set of AirPods is with you - Apple Support

Jun 29, 2023 6:54 PM in response to Phil0124

Appreciate your reply and I am very aware of the unlawful tracking concerns. My own concerns are with the people I do not want to alert to the presence of the Air Tag. Car Thief’s and the like. I am tracking the whereabouts of my car, not the people in it. If it is the way it is, then the Air Tag is pretty much useless for theft prevention. I guess, I will have to use a GPS tracker.

Dec 15, 2023 10:02 AM in response to b.soh

b.soh wrote:

"That's the way it works" is not how it should work. I should have an option to disable notifications for Airtags that are owned by myself and my family members. First it started with the Apple business phone which I put the tracker and since the Airtag is semi-permanently attached to that phone but linked to my own personal Apple ID, then my business phone thinks (everyday) that there is a stalker rather than for a way for me to say, "THIS IS MY AIRTAG, DISABLE FURTHER NOTIFICATIONS FOR THIS AIRTAG BECAUSE THE AIRTAG IS SUPPOSED TO BE TRACKING YOU (or whatever I need you to track)".

And now, another Android device of mine started doing the same and I am trying to figure out at which point I will be ****** enough to stop using Airtags because all my Airtags are tagged to only one Apple account of mine. Never had this problem with Tile and frankly, on hindsight, that fits what I need more.

You are using AirTags in a way they were not designed to be used, and then wonder why they don't work the way you expect them to work.

They are designed to track things that are usually with you and may get lost. Not to track things other people may use and access.

By all means stop using the AirTags and use something else better suited to your needs.

Dec 14, 2023 11:55 PM in response to Seajet

"That's the way it works" is not how it should work. I should have an option to disable notifications for Airtags that are owned by myself and my family members. First it started with the Apple business phone which I put the tracker and since the Airtag is semi-permanently attached to that phone but linked to my own personal Apple ID, then my business phone thinks (everyday) that there is a stalker rather than for a way for me to say, "THIS IS MY AIRTAG, DISABLE FURTHER NOTIFICATIONS FOR THIS AIRTAG BECAUSE THE AIRTAG IS SUPPOSED TO BE TRACKING YOU (or whatever I need you to track)".

And now, another Android device of mine started doing the same and I am trying to figure out at which point I will be ****** enough to stop using Airtags because all my Airtags are tagged to only one Apple account of mine. Never had this problem with Tile and frankly, on hindsight, that fits what I need more.

Dec 15, 2023 9:19 AM in response to Seajet

I think what you are missing is that the AirTags are not designed to be anti-theft devices. With its tracking notifications, as you know, can easily alert a thief of their presence and not at all useful for this situation.

If your goal is to track your car if it gets stolen, then you need to consider getting a dedicated tracking device that relies on GPS, not Bluetooth like the AirTags. Something like those provided by LoJack.

Is there a way to eliminate popup that alerts an AirTag is being used?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.