My iPhone 14 pro max was stolen on the 22nd of June. I used my phone all day up until 5:43pm when the security camera footage shows who stole it. The issue I’m having is the last place FIND MY picks up a location was from the 21st at 7:15. Why?

My iPhone 14 pro max was stolen on the 22nd of June. I used my phone all day up until 5:43pm when the security camera footage shows who stole it. The issue I’m having is the last place FIND MY picks up a location was from the 21st at 7:15. Why? Also I have an iPad that is linked to my iPhone. Is there way I can see anything on my stolen iPhone or any way I can control my iPhone via iPad?

iPad (9th generation)

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 8:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 8:22 PM

Apple—notimpressedyet Said:

Q2. "My iPhone 14 pro max was stolen on the 22nd of June. I used my phone all day up until 5:43pm when the security camera footage shows who stole it. The issue I’m having is the last place FIND MY picks up a location was from the 21st at 7:15. Why?"

A2. It is showing the location of where it was last detected. This is all based on an IP address.

Q2. "Also I have an iPad that is linked to my iPhone. Is there way I can see anything on my stolen iPhone or any way I can control my iPhone via iPad?"

A2. There is no way to determine what has been stollen. So, I'd say lock this with Find My. Go here: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is Lost or Stolen - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 8:22 PM in response to Apple—notimpressedyet

Q2. "My iPhone 14 pro max was stolen on the 22nd of June. I used my phone all day up until 5:43pm when the security camera footage shows who stole it. The issue I’m having is the last place FIND MY picks up a location was from the 21st at 7:15. Why?"

A2. It is showing the location of where it was last detected. This is all based on an IP address.

Q2. "Also I have an iPad that is linked to my iPhone. Is there way I can see anything on my stolen iPhone or any way I can control my iPhone via iPad?"

A2. There is no way to determine what has been stollen. So, I'd say lock this with Find My. Go here: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is Lost or Stolen - Apple Support

Jun 29, 2023 8:42 PM in response to Apple—notimpressedyet

Find My won't work if the battery runs down or the phone does not have an Internet connection where it is currently located.

Thieves are very fond of putting stolen phones in a special type of bag that will not allow the phone to transmit information about its location.

If the phone's battery is OK....and.....the phone can connect to the Internet where it might be currently situated, it will appear on the Find My map. Nothing you can do to speed up the process other than check every few hours to see if the status of the phone might have changed.

Is there way I can see anything on my stolen iPhone

No

or any way I can control my iPhone via iPad?

Not sure what you mean by "control". If the iPad can see the iPhone using Find My, the iPad can send an erase signal to the iPhone or tell the phone to play a sound.

You could also remove the iPhone from your list of devices, but that would be a huge gift to the thief, allowing them to reset the phone and remove the Activation Lock on the phone.

Probably half of all stolen phones are sold quickly to a "fence" who will very promptly have the phone on the way to the huge remanufacturing plant in China that receives thousands of phones each day.

Jun 29, 2023 8:55 PM in response to Apple—notimpressedyet

"Your first reply was a question already answered in my post. And for the second part of your reply what I meant was is there a way I can see what is being done on the iPhone with my iPad since they are linked"

-------

No. You can't seed what is being performed on the other device. You'd actually be breaking into it your self by doing that.

My iPhone 14 pro max was stolen on the 22nd of June. I used my phone all day up until 5:43pm when the security camera footage shows who stole it. The issue I’m having is the last place FIND MY picks up a location was from the 21st at 7:15. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.