macbook pro 2020 - thin flickering vertical line keeps reappearing on screen

Hi I have a MacBook Pro 13-in that I had purchased in 2021. 10 days before the warranty got over, there was a white block on the screen. That was thankfully replaced by Apple since it was covered under the warranty.

However, while I was working today, suddenly a black vertical line appeared on the screen. After a few seconds it started flickering and has been going on ever since. Has anyone faced something similar? Or if anybody knows the possible causes or solutions for the same, it would be great!

My MacBook doesn't have any physical damage or dents, it practically sits on my work table 24*7. Neither was it dropped nor did anything fall on it.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 12:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 9:12 AM

User0820 wrote:

Hi I have a MacBook Pro 13-in that I had purchased in 2021.

However, while I was working today, suddenly a black vertical line appeared on the screen. After a few seconds it started flickering and has been going on ever since.

Has anyone faced something similar? Or if anybody knows the possible causes or solutions for the same, it would be great!

Vertical lines are almost always a fault in the display itself.

You can plug in an external monitor and compare your results— external comes directly from the GPU bypassing the internal display.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2023 9:12 AM in response to User0820

User0820 wrote:

Hi I have a MacBook Pro 13-in that I had purchased in 2021.

However, while I was working today, suddenly a black vertical line appeared on the screen. After a few seconds it started flickering and has been going on ever since.

Has anyone faced something similar? Or if anybody knows the possible causes or solutions for the same, it would be great!

Vertical lines are almost always a fault in the display itself.

You can plug in an external monitor and compare your results— external comes directly from the GPU bypassing the internal display.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

macbook pro 2020 - thin flickering vertical line keeps reappearing on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.