Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017 showed horizontal black lines on screen after a battery replacement

I had the battery on my 2017 MacBook Pro 13-inch replaced at an Apple Authorized Service Provider and when I picked it up from the repair it had horizontal black lines on the top of the screen, which it didn't have before the battery replacement. I noticed that the lines are worse as soon as I turn it on after some time not using the computer, then they start to fade as the computer gets warmer. I have already tried SMC and NVRAM resets, but nothing changed.

After a little research I learned that this is a common problem in the 2016 and 2017 MBP, but I still find it really weird that it only happened to my device after a battery replacement. Could the new battery have triggered this problem somehow? What could have happened at the AASP that could have caused this, maybe extreme temperatures in their storage/repair shop?

This is what the lines look like as soon as the display turns on:

MacBook Pro de Maísa

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 8:05 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 31, 2023 8:48 PM in response to WheelieNick

I've already been back at the service provider and they insinuated I lied about the problem, gave me false information about their service and then told me that all they could do about it is replace the screen for R$5600 (around 1180 USD). I want to better understand what could have caused this problem so that I can seek legal resolution.

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017 showed horizontal black lines on screen after a battery replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.