Thin horizontal lines on MacBookPro screen

Hello,

in the past, several community members had asked about how to get rid of a grid of horizontal lines stretching across the screen of a MacBook. I had experienced the problem myself and asked a local AppleSupport for a solution. Their suggestion was to replace the entire display case.

After searching the various user groups for alternative solutions, it turned out that the problem in my case seemed to be related to some dust particles at the bottom edge behind my display. So at first, blowing hard on the bottom edge of the display case helped. Unfortunately, the problem returned a few weeks later. So as a second procedure, I pulled the edge of a piece of paper between the screen surface and the screen case. This helped repeatedly now. It seems that some dust particles stubbornly always accumulate between the case and the screen surface, causing the malfunction.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 8:11 AM

HalfBrokenHearted wrote:

Hello,

in the past, several community members had asked about how to get rid of a grid of horizontal lines stretching across the screen of a MacBook. I had experienced the problem myself and asked a local AppleSupport for a solution. Their suggestion was to replace the entire display case.

After searching the various user groups for alternative solutions, it turned out that the problem in my case seemed to be related to some dust particles at the bottom edge behind my display. So at first, blowing hard on the bottom edge of the display case helped. Unfortunately, the problem returned a few weeks later. So as a second procedure, I pulled the edge of a piece of paper between the screen surface and the screen case. This helped repeatedly now. It seems that some dust particles stubbornly always accumulate between the case and the screen surface, causing the malfunction.

Never heard of a dust issue....

You can plug in an external monitor and compare your results...external comes direct from the GPU, same for screenshots come directly from the GPU bypassing the Display— this would be telling.

Display or GPU either way is considered hardware issue— which nothing can be done here

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2023 8:11 AM in response to HalfBrokenHearted

HalfBrokenHearted wrote:

Hello,

Never heard of a dust issue....

You can plug in an external monitor and compare your results...external comes direct from the GPU, same for screenshots come directly from the GPU bypassing the Display— this would be telling.

Display or GPU either way is considered hardware issue— which nothing can be done here

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Thin horizontal lines on MacBookPro screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.