does getting crumbs inside your macbook pro hinge make parts of the screen glitch out?

I have had crumbs go inside the hinge of my 13" Macbook Pro 2020. A few months ago the screen started to glitch out and a few columns of pixels start to glitch. So basically I've had my screen lag out and lines of pixels that go vertically across the screen change into a single colour for example green. I've also had a random, I presume dead pixel in the middle of the screen. This problem is either occurring due to what I presume might be the crumbs in the hinge but I am no expert and desperately need an insight. Could their be a possibility that the screen is not genuine and has been refurbished?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 5:03 PM

Moosq wrote:

I have had crumbs go inside the hinge of my 13" Macbook Pro 2020. A few months ago the screen started to glitch out and a few columns of pixels start to glitch. So basically I've had my screen lag out and lines of pixels that go vertically across the screen change into a single colour for example green. I've also had a random, I presume dead pixel in the middle of the screen. This problem is either occurring due to what I presume might be the crumbs in the hinge but I am no expert and desperately need an insight.C̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶g̶e̶n̶u̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶r̶b̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶?̶

You have a hardware issue—crumbs or no crumbs.

Take it in...

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 5:03 PM in response to Moosq

Moosq wrote:

I have had crumbs go inside the hinge of my 13" Macbook Pro 2020. A few months ago the screen started to glitch out and a few columns of pixels start to glitch. So basically I've had my screen lag out and lines of pixels that go vertically across the screen change into a single colour for example green. I've also had a random, I presume dead pixel in the middle of the screen. This problem is either occurring due to what I presume might be the crumbs in the hinge but I am no expert and desperately need an insight.C̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶g̶e̶n̶u̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶r̶b̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶?̶

You have a hardware issue—crumbs or no crumbs.

Take it in...

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Aug 17, 2023 11:15 PM in response to Moosq

If it is out of warranty or if Apple determines accidental damage, then you will be responsible for repair costs.

Crumbs would only cause this problem if they put a dent into the video cable. Crumbs tend to crumble so unless you have a hard crumb it is unlikely it would dent the cable. Plus from your description of how it began, it seems unlikely the cable is the source of the problem here.

You should definitely try to keep food, liquids, and crumbs away from the computer since they generally don't mix well with electronic devices.

does getting crumbs inside your macbook pro hinge make parts of the screen glitch out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.