Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

New keyboard not working yet there is no place to change batteries

How do I change batteries in my new Mac keyboard when there is no place for them

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 11:23 AM

Many models of the Magic Keyboard have sealed-in rechargeable batteries. When the keyboard battery charge gets low, you plug the keyboard into the computer for a while to recharge the batteries.

The keyboard should have come with a Lightning-to-USB cable (of some sort) that you use for initial pairing and also for recharging. If the USB connector on that cable is not the same as the one on your computer (i.e. USB-A versus USB-C), you might need to plug the USB end into an adapter (or replace the cable with one which has the other kind of USB connector).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2023 11:23 AM in response to sherryshaw

Many models of the Magic Keyboard have sealed-in rechargeable batteries. When the keyboard battery charge gets low, you plug the keyboard into the computer for a while to recharge the batteries.

The keyboard should have come with a Lightning-to-USB cable (of some sort) that you use for initial pairing and also for recharging. If the USB connector on that cable is not the same as the one on your computer (i.e. USB-A versus USB-C), you might need to plug the USB end into an adapter (or replace the cable with one which has the other kind of USB connector).

New keyboard not working yet there is no place to change batteries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.