Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

AirDrop is incredibly inconsistent. Interrupts my workflow.

For years I have been trying to get AirDrop to work consistently, but always end up needing to restart my devices in order to get it to work. As a musician and audio engineer I am constantly using AirDrop to transfer files from my Mac to my iPhone, but I will need to use another method because AirDrop constantly stops working. I follow all of the steps I find online. Turning Airplane Mode off and on does nothing. I make sure I'm on the same WiFi with both devices. Bluetooth toggling does nothing. The only thing that works is restarting my devices, which is EXTREMELY inconvenient, takes up a lot of time, and interrupts my workflow. I will be using Google Drive until I get a response about this.

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 1:22 AM

seamus133 wrote:

I will be using Google Drive until I get a response about this.

You could use iCloud Drive instead.

There are three major advantages of having iCloud Storage

1. iCloud syncs your iPhone data and keeps backup safely for future use if your iPhone is damaged or lost. The data is safe on iCloud
  2. You can save space on your iPhone by keeping low resolution photos on iPhone and keep the originals on iCloud. When ever you open a Photo on iPhone it will fetch the original photo from iCloud and display it to you, provided you have internet. --> Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support
  3. You get more space on iCloud Drive and keep any file on it safely, Also you can view and delete them from any device.

iCloud Drive is part of iCloud Storage. What you store in iCloud Drive counts against your storage limit.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2023 1:22 AM in response to seamus133

seamus133 wrote:

I will be using Google Drive until I get a response about this.

You could use iCloud Drive instead.

There are three major advantages of having iCloud Storage

1. iCloud syncs your iPhone data and keeps backup safely for future use if your iPhone is damaged or lost. The data is safe on iCloud
  2. You can save space on your iPhone by keeping low resolution photos on iPhone and keep the originals on iCloud. When ever you open a Photo on iPhone it will fetch the original photo from iCloud and display it to you, provided you have internet. --> Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support
  3. You get more space on iCloud Drive and keep any file on it safely, Also you can view and delete them from any device.

iCloud Drive is part of iCloud Storage. What you store in iCloud Drive counts against your storage limit.

Jul 1, 2023 1:24 AM in response to seamus133

seamus133 wrote:

For years I have been trying to get AirDrop to work consistently, but always end up needing to restart my devices in order to get it to work. As a musician and audio engineer I am constantly using AirDrop to transfer files from my Mac to my iPhone, but I will need to use another method because AirDrop constantly stops working. I follow all of the steps I find online. Turning Airplane Mode off and on does nothing. I make sure I'm on the same WiFi with both devices. Bluetooth toggling does nothing. The only thing that works is restarting my devices, which is EXTREMELY inconvenient, takes up a lot of time, and interrupts my workflow. I will be using Google Drive until I get a response about this.

You are silent on which app you are using for the file transfer.

You are also silent about the file format that you are using.

With the limited information that you have provided, It is hard to even guess the problems faced by you. 

You may get faster and better responses to your query by --> Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple ...

Please re-post with detail so that someone else can help.

AirDrop is incredibly inconsistent. Interrupts my workflow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.