I got a second new Apple Watch from the US and it was shipped to my destination…I tried pairing and it prompts me to enter previous owner appleID which I don’t know or have access to….what can I do?

from the US and it was shipped to my destination…I tried pairing and it prompts me to enter previous owner appleID which I don’t know or have access to….what can I do?

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 3:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 4:45 AM

The Apple Watch is locked with Activation Lock, applied by the original owner. This is a security lock designed to make stolen devices useless, and only the original owner can release the lock so you can set it up and use it with your account. Hopefully you purchased from the real owner and they will cooperate to complete the steps which should (ideally) have been done before the watch was shipped.

Please see details in these 2 Apple support documents, which describe how the original owner can release the locks even after the watch was sent to you.

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support

The other less pleasant possibility is that the watch has been stolen, and the seller can't release Activation Lock because they don't have the login credentials. If that is the case I'm sorry, you have been scammed.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2023 4:45 AM in response to rok195

The Apple Watch is locked with Activation Lock, applied by the original owner. This is a security lock designed to make stolen devices useless, and only the original owner can release the lock so you can set it up and use it with your account. Hopefully you purchased from the real owner and they will cooperate to complete the steps which should (ideally) have been done before the watch was shipped.

Please see details in these 2 Apple support documents, which describe how the original owner can release the locks even after the watch was sent to you.

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support

The other less pleasant possibility is that the watch has been stolen, and the seller can't release Activation Lock because they don't have the login credentials. If that is the case I'm sorry, you have been scammed.

I got a second new Apple Watch from the US and it was shipped to my destination…I tried pairing and it prompts me to enter previous owner appleID which I don’t know or have access to….what can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.