How delete incorrect autofill suggestion.

Get 2 autofill suggestions. One has wrong spelling in the address. I checked on contacts, the spelling for My Card was correct. I deleted it and reentered my info. but still get the same 2 suggestions. I want to delete the wrong one. In the past, one could simply press delete. This problem is on my MacBook Air. I have no problem with my iPhone or iPad even on the same website. How to delete the incorrect one?

MacBook Air (2018 – 2020)

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 2:29 PM

This isn't within your Mail settings. This is an autofill feature for My Card - Set up your My Card in Contacts on Mac - Apple Support. The Mail setting will only prevent it from being autofilled when you're trying to enter a recipient within the Mail app.

My Card is basically your own contact card that will autofill with the information you provide.

Look within the Contacts app and see if you have two entries for your name. If not, look within My Card (within Contacts), and verify all the information in there is accurate.

If it's not your My Card, please follow - Change AutoFill settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support.

1. Open Safari
  2. Open Safari's Settings (Command + ,)
  3. Click on AutoFill
  4. Click on Edit next to the desired option

Make sure the entry is correct within there too!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2023 2:29 PM in response to tcgipper

This isn't within your Mail settings. This is an autofill feature for My Card - Set up your My Card in Contacts on Mac - Apple Support. The Mail setting will only prevent it from being autofilled when you're trying to enter a recipient within the Mail app.

My Card is basically your own contact card that will autofill with the information you provide.

Look within the Contacts app and see if you have two entries for your name. If not, look within My Card (within Contacts), and verify all the information in there is accurate.

If it's not your My Card, please follow - Change AutoFill settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support.

1. Open Safari
  2. Open Safari's Settings (Command + ,)
  3. Click on AutoFill
  4. Click on Edit next to the desired option

Make sure the entry is correct within there too!

Jul 2, 2023 2:17 PM in response to tcgipper

tcgipper wrote:

The top suggestion has an incorrect address. I do not know where it comes from nor how to get rid of it. If I am in a hurry or forget which one is correct, I sometimes submit the wrong address. Only happens on my MacBook Air. Does not happen on my iPhone or iPad.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/f7498b8d-5f91-474f-8143-0f121979a2ad

As I stated previously, look in Mail, Window menu, Previous Recipients.

Jul 2, 2023 3:07 PM in response to pjswiz

I had done all of the above. Only one contact for me. Correct address info. for me. The Safari Autofill switch is set for Contacts. (I have switched this on and off a few times too. It is set for using my Contact and bring up my correct card after clicking on <edit>. However, in Contacts, I selected my contact which there was only one and the address was correct. I deleted it and made a new contact card for me, double checked my address which is correct, went to <card> <make this my card> and selected it. The <make this my card> is now grayed out. I did this because there is no My Card option underneath the <All Contact> option in the upper left of the Contacts screen like there has been in the past. Still is isn't there.

Jul 3, 2023 5:01 AM in response to pjswiz

When I select the customize, it shows only my contact card with has the correct address. I cannot edit or delete the one with the incorrect address. I guess I will just select customize when on my MacBook Air. Years ago when this would happen, one could highlight any and hit the delete button and it would be gone. I still wonder why the dropdown is correct when using my iPhone or iPad but not on my laptop. Oh well, thanks.

How delete incorrect autofill suggestion.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.