Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

can I have two separate iPhones linked to the same iCloud but running on two different iCloud backups?

So, I have my main phone, iPhone XR, and a secondary iPhone.

i want to recover some deleted photos I know is in a early iCloud backup, but I really do not want to reset my main phone because I have app accounts I forgot the password to, important notes, and current pictures I do not want to lose.

is there a way that I keep my main iPhone XR the way it is (running the same), but run an iCloud backup on my secondary phone, even if they’re both linked to the same iCloud, having it not interfere?

iPhone XR

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 6:05 AM

5 replies

Jul 3, 2023 7:16 AM in response to Jordan_foa

So I can’t get my second phone to use a backup that’s on my first phone is what you’re telling me?

No. You can restore a newer device using a backup from an older device.

I am trying to make my second phone reset to a backup from a year ago while having my main phone work as it is now.

That won't be possible. If you had an iCloud backup of a device and you stopped backing up the device, the backup would be deleted after 180 days. iCloud backups are incremental and always backup the current state of the device. Eg. old backups do not exist.

Jul 3, 2023 7:47 AM in response to Jordan_foa

You can use any older backup to restore to a device running the same or newer iOS. You would not need a new phone if that is the case.

But, you still will not have any backup in iCloud that is more than 180 days old. And, if you were continuing to backup the device, it will only have the items that were on the device as of the most recent backup. So, if you stopped backing up your old phone, and it has been more than 180 days since the last backup, no backup exists. If you were backing up your old phone, then the only backup will be the one that you most recently made.

can I have two separate iPhones linked to the same iCloud but running on two different iCloud backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.