iPhone asking for password after restore

A few months ago my boyfriend's phone broke so I restored my old iPhone 7 to see if he wanted that to use. I reset it through the settings app on the phone itself. He ended up not wanting it anyway because he prefers android devices (lol). Anyway, I've been wanting to try and restore the phone from a backup on my old PC associated with the device that I used to sync it to all the time to access old photos and stuff. However, the phone keeps insisting I put in a 6-digit password that I never set myself. I have literally no idea what this could be since I've only ever only used 4-digit passwords in the entire time I've been using Apple devices. Is there any solution at all for me or is this a lost cause? I plug it into my computer and nothing pops up and I can't get past the password prompt on the iPhone.

Earlier iPhone models

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 4:38 PM

I understand that you are referring to the passcode that is used to get to the Home Screen of your iPhone. You will have to reset the passcode to your iPhone by following the instructions in this guide published by Apple 👉  If you forgot the passcode or if your iPhone has been disabled. You will need a computer to execute this procedure and all the data on your iPhone will be erased.

You have a backup created on 👉 on a computer. Since you do then, you can 👉 Restore your iPhone from the backup file once your passcode has been reset and the iPhone has been returned to factory settings by the procedure in the link above.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2023 4:38 PM in response to kytunes96

I understand that you are referring to the passcode that is used to get to the Home Screen of your iPhone. You will have to reset the passcode to your iPhone by following the instructions in this guide published by Apple 👉  If you forgot the passcode or if your iPhone has been disabled. You will need a computer to execute this procedure and all the data on your iPhone will be erased.

You have a backup created on 👉 on a computer. Since you do then, you can 👉 Restore your iPhone from the backup file once your passcode has been reset and the iPhone has been returned to factory settings by the procedure in the link above.

Axel F.

iPhone asking for password after restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.