Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Battery draining extremely quickly

My phone was purchased new in November 2022. It's an iphone SE.

In the past month the battery has been running down really quickly. The maximum capacity is 99%. I probably have to recharge it every 6 hours if I don't switch it off.

I only use the phone for emails, whatsapp & facebook and I haven't been doing any extra activity in the past month to warrant the battery drain that I am experiencing. For example, I played golf for 4 hours & didnt look at my phone & the battery lost over 50% of its life. The phone is also getting hot.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 8:28 AM

Have you cheked the battery health?

See this excerpt from the "Your battery's maximum capacity" section of the support article: iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

"A normal battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles when operating under normal conditions. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers battery service for a charge." In other words, if maximum capacity is below 80%, the battery is below normal performance. You can still use a device with a lower health percentage than 80% but for optimal usage you may wish to consider having it changed when it reaches 80%.

Batteries are consumables and 1-2% loss per month is perfectly normal. According to iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support , Apple apparently only considers it unusual (and warrant-able) if a battery drops below 80% maximum capacity in less than a year after you receive it. Ergo, some storage loss as you use it is expected and acceptable. Incidentally, that possible 20% drop over the first 12 months equates to 1-2% drop per month being within the range of what Apple finds acceptable.

Go to this web site for information about how to request battery service for your iPhone: iPhone Battery Repair & Replacement - Apple Support

For cost and availability, enter your model information in the "Get an estimate" box at the bottom. (I will let you do this since the answer will depend upon the country where you are located.)

For instructions on how to get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service click here --> Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2023 8:28 AM in response to Curlshirl

Have you cheked the battery health?

See this excerpt from the "Your battery's maximum capacity" section of the support article: iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

"A normal battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles when operating under normal conditions. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers battery service for a charge." In other words, if maximum capacity is below 80%, the battery is below normal performance. You can still use a device with a lower health percentage than 80% but for optimal usage you may wish to consider having it changed when it reaches 80%.

Batteries are consumables and 1-2% loss per month is perfectly normal. According to iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support , Apple apparently only considers it unusual (and warrant-able) if a battery drops below 80% maximum capacity in less than a year after you receive it. Ergo, some storage loss as you use it is expected and acceptable. Incidentally, that possible 20% drop over the first 12 months equates to 1-2% drop per month being within the range of what Apple finds acceptable.

Go to this web site for information about how to request battery service for your iPhone: iPhone Battery Repair & Replacement - Apple Support

For cost and availability, enter your model information in the "Get an estimate" box at the bottom. (I will let you do this since the answer will depend upon the country where you are located.)

For instructions on how to get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service click here --> Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service - Apple Support

Jul 6, 2023 9:34 AM in response to Limnos

I have just been on an apple chat for 30 minutes & they have run a diagnostic check which shows no problem with the battery! in that 30 minutes, my phone was on low power mode & it drained by 10% with just the diagnostic check. Something is clearly wrong. I shouldn't have to keep turning my phone off to preserve the battery.

They will escalate to tier 2 if I try some battery saving tips (which I have done previously with no success).

Battery draining extremely quickly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.