Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Photos stored on iCloud for 1 year were automatically deleted

I had bought 200 GB of iCloud memory, for 1 year I uploaded photos from the device to iCloud and kept them there, of course I deleted everything on the phone. I checked today and everything on icloud is deleted, about 3000 photos/videos. Only what I have on my phone is on iCloud. Please help me!

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 6:52 PM

iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See the following Apple article for more information: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

If you deleted the photos recently (i.e., 30 to 40 days) see instructions in If you're missing photos or videos in the Photos app - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2023 6:52 PM in response to lasha192

iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See the following Apple article for more information: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

If you deleted the photos recently (i.e., 30 to 40 days) see instructions in If you're missing photos or videos in the Photos app - Apple Support

Jul 8, 2023 12:41 AM in response to lasha192

Deleted photos are also erased from recently deleted and can never be recovered , a year has gone by , same with all iCloud data files , contacts , notes ...

The maximum limit for storing on iCloud server is 30 - 40 days see Delete files in iCloud Drive on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Delete contacts on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Delete and recover notes on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Photos stored on iCloud for 1 year were automatically deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.