iTunes Match and Syncing question

I have a few questions about iTunes match.

If I setup iTunes match on my Windows machine, the documentations says iOS devices I sync to the cloud library will have all their locally stored songs deleted and replaced with the new synced library. Will the entire library contents be physically copied to each iOS device or just a library listing? I want to make sure I won’t have to have an internet connection every time I want to listen to music on my iOS devices once the sync is complete.

Will the entire library be copied to my iOS devices, including matched songs and uploaded music that wasn’t matched?

If I have music ripped at 320kbps and it’s matched, what quality version will be synced to my iOS devices?

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 12:09 PM

When you use iCloud Music Library as part of either Apple Music or iTunes Match you can choose for each library or device whether or not Sync Library (AKA iCloud Music Library) is enabled. You can also choose whether content that isn't already stored locally is downloaded or left in the cloud so it can be streamed on demand. Matched music will be delivered at 256K AAC. (Apple Music often has lossless versions.) Uploaded tracks will either be the original file, or sometimes a downsampled 256K AAC version.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2023 12:09 PM in response to Paul_NC

When you use iCloud Music Library as part of either Apple Music or iTunes Match you can choose for each library or device whether or not Sync Library (AKA iCloud Music Library) is enabled. You can also choose whether content that isn't already stored locally is downloaded or left in the cloud so it can be streamed on demand. Matched music will be delivered at 256K AAC. (Apple Music often has lossless versions.) Uploaded tracks will either be the original file, or sometimes a downsampled 256K AAC version.

tt2

Jul 9, 2023 4:35 PM in response to turingtest2

I appreciate your assistance with this. It looks like as I add music to my library after enabling the service, that this control will then trigger a download. But what about when I first enable matching? Is there a way to force a download of my entire library? I currently have about 2000 CDs ripped and am considering using this to avoid having to plug a cable in and manually sync my iPhone and iPad. It’s not really feasible to manually download songs or CDs after playing them.

iTunes Match and Syncing question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.