Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

drag and drop image from photos to finder

Should i be able to simply drag an image from my photos app and drop into finder? i thought i was doing that last weekend but it seems its not now?? I was on chat with Apple but they literally answered and then left the conversation.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 9:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 12:49 AM

It will depend on what you want to use the dragged image for, and also on your use of iCloud Photos and where you are dragging to.

• You need write access to the folder where you are dragging to. and it may not work to drag to the top level of an external volume, drag to a subfolder.
  • If you are using iCloud Photos, you may need to force the download from iCloud, before you can drag a photo from Photos.
  • If you want to archive photos in the best possible quality use File > export, as Matti recommended. Dragging is not giving you any control over the quality. It is fine, if you just want a small file for sharing.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2023 12:49 AM in response to pennyfromwitheren

It will depend on what you want to use the dragged image for, and also on your use of iCloud Photos and where you are dragging to.

• You need write access to the folder where you are dragging to. and it may not work to drag to the top level of an external volume, drag to a subfolder.
  • If you are using iCloud Photos, you may need to force the download from iCloud, before you can drag a photo from Photos.
  • If you want to archive photos in the best possible quality use File > export, as Matti recommended. Dragging is not giving you any control over the quality. It is fine, if you just want a small file for sharing.

drag and drop image from photos to finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.