Heartrate Display

How can I CONTINUOUSLY DISPLAY heartrate on Apple Watch Ultra?

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 10:02 AM

I thought your first answer was ambiguous and your second is frankly patronising. He wants to display his heart rate during workouts so he can see when he is reaching his target rate and not exceed it. He never once said he wanted to leave it on all day - you just assumed that. So can the watch display heart rate continuously, DURING A WORKOUT, or not? And if so, how does one set it up to do this?

N.B: I did follow the link you provided but it does not contain the information we need. It says this: "When you use the Workout app, Apple Watch measures your heart rate continuously during the workout". Virtually all fitness watches can do that, but we want to know if it will display the heart rate continuously, not if it will measure it continuously.

The reason this question needs to be asked in the first place is because Apple, like most other fitness/smart watch makers does not state the information clearly in any of their marketing material. They know this feature would use a lot of battery life and they know that everybody wants this feature so they resort to vague language that never actually addresses the issue clearly rather than admitting they cannot implement it (despite these battery life worries the Versa 4 does provide this functionality and even with the display always on, the battery lasts for 2 days, which is a lot better than the Apple Watch)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2023 10:02 AM in response to LD150

I thought your first answer was ambiguous and your second is frankly patronising. He wants to display his heart rate during workouts so he can see when he is reaching his target rate and not exceed it. He never once said he wanted to leave it on all day - you just assumed that. So can the watch display heart rate continuously, DURING A WORKOUT, or not? And if so, how does one set it up to do this?

N.B: I did follow the link you provided but it does not contain the information we need. It says this: "When you use the Workout app, Apple Watch measures your heart rate continuously during the workout". Virtually all fitness watches can do that, but we want to know if it will display the heart rate continuously, not if it will measure it continuously.

The reason this question needs to be asked in the first place is because Apple, like most other fitness/smart watch makers does not state the information clearly in any of their marketing material. They know this feature would use a lot of battery life and they know that everybody wants this feature so they resort to vague language that never actually addresses the issue clearly rather than admitting they cannot implement it (despite these battery life worries the Versa 4 does provide this functionality and even with the display always on, the battery lasts for 2 days, which is a lot better than the Apple Watch)

Jul 9, 2023 5:47 AM in response to LD150

Workout. Specifically running. Dr's want me to keep my heartrate below a specific number. TBH I'm a bit ****** Apple are marketing the Ultra for health monitoring and are missing such a basic parameter that anybody seriously interested in health wants to monitor continuously while exercising. I could gave gone for a Garmin .... 🤬🤬🤬

Jul 11, 2023 11:16 AM in response to eaglesgift

No the original question "How can I CONTINUOUSLY DISPLAY heartrate on Apple Watch Ultra?"

was ambiguous so I had to read between the lines as no mention was made of WHEN they wanted to display it.

Like I said, during a workout the heart rate is displayed and measured constantly.

The rest of the day it measures heart rate whilst resting, walking etc every few minutes to give you a profile which can be viewed at will along with current rate.

My user tip in my second post gives specific zone alarm setting guide fir workouts which apple only provide briefly in the general guide which I linked to in my first post.

Jul 11, 2023 11:19 AM in response to LD150

Yes I saw the tip about zone alarms but when you're on a stationary bike, for example, it's nice to be able to see as you approach the rate so you can alter your cadence. I just find it infuriating that no manufacturer ever states clearly that their watches can display the heart rate continuously. Even in the material you linked to, there was no clear statement to that effect.

Anyway, thank you very much for confirming that it is possible to do this during a workout. That's the main thing, and very useful to know so I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Heartrate Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.