Iphone 13 mini battery draining overnight

I’ve been having this issue for weeks, sometimes I go to sleep with my phone at 40%, low battery mode, do not disturb on, and I wake up late for work with a dead phone. When I checked the apps that were responsible battery usage, the only one that showed up was Google Drive. So I deleted the app and redownloaded it at least 3 different times, same issue. So yesterday I deleted the app. Went to sleep with 80% battery and woke up to 19%. Same thing, do no disturb and low battery mode on. No app recorded usage whatsoever. Battery life is at 100%, I got this phone 4 months ago.

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 9:58 AM

Because it would lower my battery’s lifetime in the long run. I also shouldn’t have to, it’s a brand new phone, there is no reason why it should die overnight while unused and on low battery mode (which prevents background app refresh).

Similar questions

15 replies

Jul 9, 2023 10:22 AM in response to gmello13

Because it would lower my battery’s lifetime in the long run.

This is absolutely not correct. It sounds like you have picked up one of the great Internet "lies" about iPhone batteries.

If all of the experts on this support forum are all saying the same thing......with Apple's blessing......maybe you should consider listening. Here's what top battery expert Lawrence Finch has to say:

There is never a time when any smartphone is doing nothing, so it will use energy 24/7, and the amount used will vary from day to day and minute to minute. For that reason alone you should charge your phone overnight, every night.

In addition, the absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight.

The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. 

If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

My iPhone 11 Pro is almost 4 years old. Battery Health is 91% using he advice above from day one.

So, you can do what is best for your battery, or ignore our advice. It's your call.

Jul 9, 2023 8:50 AM in response to gmello13

If your iPhone's battery is draining even when it's not in use, there could be a few possible reasons for this issue. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Go to Settings > Battery and see which apps or processes are consuming the most battery. If you notice any particular app using an unusually high amount of battery in the background, it might be the cause of the drain.
  2. Some apps refresh their content in the background, which can consume battery. You can disable background app refresh for specific apps by going to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and toggle off the apps you don't need to update in the background. go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and turn on Background App Refresh. -->Switch apps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  3. If you have multiple email accounts set up on your iPhone and use the push email feature, it can drain your battery. Instead, consider changing your email settings to fetch data manually or at longer intervals. Go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > Fetch New Data and adjust the settings accordingly.
    1. Push Mail: Whenever possible the email client will push mails to all your devices.
  4. Fetch Mail: You need to set How you want it to be fetched, Automatically, Manually , Hourly,Every 30 mins, every 15 mins
      1. Automatically: will fetch when the iPhone is powered and on WiFi
      2. Manually: with fetch when you open email, open Inbox and swipe down
  5. You get an email notification as soon as the client server receives an email and your device is connected to internet, irrespective of whether the mail is in your device's Inbox or not
  6. Some apps constantly track your location in the background, which can use significant battery power. You can manage and restrict the location access for apps by going to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and adjust the settings for individual apps.
  7. Keep an eye on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth settings. Sometimes, if Wi-Fi or Bluetooth is left on even when not in use, it can contribute to battery drain. Make sure to turn off these features when you don't need them.
  8. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches. Turn off your iPhone, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  9. If the issue persists, you can try resetting all settings on your iPhone. This will not erase your data but will reset all personalized settings to their default values. Go to Settings > General > Transfer & Reset > Reset > Reset All Settings and confirm the action. Note that you will need to reconfigure your settings afterward. All settings—including network settings, the keyboard dictionary, the Home screen layout, location settings, privacy settings, and Apple Pay cards—are removed or reset to their defaults. No data or media are deleted.
    1. Reset All Settings: Return iPhone settings to their defaults - Apple Support:- Return iPhone settings to their defaults
    2. You can return settings to their defaults without erasing your content.
    3. If you want to save your settings, back up your iPhone before returning them to their defaults. For example, if you’re trying to solve a problem but returning settings to their defaults doesn’t help, you might want to restore your previous settings from a backup.
  10. Make sure you have the latest updates installed.
    1. Update Over-the-Air (OTA) —> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
    2. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it is recommended to reach out to Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance based on your device model and iOS version.

Jul 9, 2023 10:45 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I’m upset right now because I can’t rely on my phone to have battery the entire day if I have to be away from a charger and I just bought it! If it doesn’t survive overnight without use and without charging, I can’t rely on it if I need to be out and use it all day. Are you telling me that if I charge it all night every night my battery will last all day without a charger if need be?

Jul 9, 2023 10:12 AM in response to gmello13

gmello13 wrote:

Because it would lower my battery’s lifetime in the long run. I also shouldn’t have to, it’s a brand new phone, there is no reason why it should die overnight while unused and on low battery mode (which prevents background app refresh).

That statement is positively FALSE. Plugging in your phone to charge at night, every night, ALL NIGHT is the single BEST thing you can do preserve the health of the battery. Whoever told you otherwise, doesn't know what they are talking about. In fact, by NOT keeping on charge at night is reducing the health of the battery. When on mains to charge, you're not using the battery. When not on mains to charge, you ARE using the battery. And when you use the battery more, it's health reduces as batteries chemically age.

Jul 9, 2023 10:42 AM in response to gmello13

Why is the phone next to your head while you sleep? When I go to bed at night, my iPhone is on a MagSafe charging stand on the dresser, nowhere near my head. If I had it closer to me, I'd put it on my nightstand furthest from my head while I sleep.

You can take or not take our advice, but you are simply not managing the charge on your phone optimally. It's your phone, do as you please. Just don't be upset when its Battery Health reduces faster than it should.

And with that, I'll wish you good luck.

Jul 9, 2023 10:48 AM in response to gmello13

If you charge it every night, with Optimized Battery Charging turned on, yes, your phone should last a full day. It will start the day at 100%. Now, if you stream music for say, 6 hours and spend hours every day on phone calls, you may need to charge more often. But generally speaking, an iPhone charged to 100% and which isn't excessively used, should last the day on a single charge and then some.

Jul 9, 2023 11:36 AM in response to gmello13

It “should” do whatever it needs to do based on the apps you have, the notifications you receive, the strength of the cellular signal, the email and texts that arrive, and many other things that happen overnight. As pointed out above, a smartphone (ANY smartphone) is never idle; it is always using energy, and the amount that it uses can’t be easily controlled. If you disable all notifications, set mail fetch to Manual (so it only updates when you open the Mail app), put the phone in Airplane mode (so it stops its conversation with the cellular network), disable all social networking apps by logging out of them, you may be able to reduce the energy used overnight. But there will still be some energy loss overnight.

But you are not doing your phone any favors by not charging overnight, either. My 4 year old XR has 94% maximum capacity, and I have followed my own advice, charging it overnight, every night, with optimized charging. My iPhone 14 Pro, which is 10 months old, is still at 100%, also charged overnight with automatic backup enabled.

Speaking of backups, how often do you do them? The only correct answer is “every day,” unless you have absolutely no data and no photos on your phone that you wouldn’t mind losing if your phone was dropped in a toilet, thrown under a bus or stolen. And backing up every day is automatic if you charge overnight, you don’t even have to think about it.

The other question is do you view your phone as a useful tool, or as a battery that must be coddled? You are paying attention obsessively to the second by second state of the battery rather than what you can do with the phone. Batteries are expendable; you use them until they aren’t providing the amount of energy you need, then you replace them for a small cost and an hour of inconvenience to get the battery replaced. This is typically about 2 years if you don’t follow best practices, 3 or 4 if you do.

Iphone 13 mini battery draining overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.