Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Persistence of Remote Login

Something enabled Remote Login (Catalina) several times a day for three days. I've removed something in LaunchAgents I didn't recognize and to be sure disabled Remote Management in Terminal, with the response:

Removed preference to start ARD after reboot. Done.

Now I'm curious how this preference was set. What are the ways it can happen?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 10:51 AM

6 replies

Jul 11, 2023 12:47 PM in response to OrganicBooks

Hi OrganicBooks,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Community. In order to set up remove access on your Mac, you would follow the steps below from the article Allow a remote computer to access your Mac:

1. "On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click General  in the sidebar, then click Sharing on the right. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Turn on Remote Login, then click the Info button  on the right.
  3. If needed, select the “Allow full disk access for remote users” checkbox.
  4. Specify which users can log in:
    • All users: Any of your computer’s users and anyone on your network can log in.
    • Only these users: Click the Add button , then choose who can log in remotely. Users & Groups includes all the users of your Mac. Network Users and Network Groups include people on your network."

If you feel your Mac is not secure, check out the tips here: Set up your Mac to be secure.

Cheers!

Jul 12, 2023 1:11 PM in response to OrganicBooks

Hi OrganicBooks,

Has your Mac been set up through a school or employer? This may explain why remote management was enabled.

After this option is disabled, it shouldn't automatically be turned on, unless your Mac is managed by a school or employer. To learn more about this, please refer to the Apple Remote Desktop User Guide for Mac - Apple Support.

Take care.

Persistence of Remote Login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.