Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote Management Software

my ex-employer, now out of business, added remote management software to my BYOD MacBook Pro. How can I remove the remote management software? When I boot from an external disk with Mac OS Catalina, everything works fine. I then wiped the internal disk, reinstalled MacOS Catalina and the startup wizard is forcing me to log into a company server which I can't because they are out of business. How can I delete whatever RM software is on the device?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 5:22 AM

See if this helps: Unbind from a server in Directory Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Or

When you wiped the internal disk, Did you wipe the disk or volume?

How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

Please try to erase from internet recovery.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 29, 2020 5:35 AM in response to markmsc

How big was this employer?

It sounds like they weren't just using MDM (Mobile Device Management) but maybe using Apple's DEP (Device Enrollment Program) which actually ties the serial number to Apple's servers to enforce the enrollment.

Did you fully erase the Apple HDD or Apple SDD itself, or just "Macintosh HD"? I'm not sure if it matters (like if it was DEP I don't think it matters) but I'd be sure you did a View > Show All Devices in Disk Utility to complete erase the drive.

It'd be really curious to know if that's how this turns out.

If it's still tied my best guess is that you would need to contact Apple's Enterprise support group and I'm hoping this can be treated like an "Activation Lock" or "Firmware password" type of situation where by showing them your proof of purchase (since you mentioned this was BYOD) that you can have your serial number removed from their DEP system.

Remote Management Software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.