Fifth Generation iPod Classic tells me how to force a restart which doesn't work.

I have a Fifth Generation iPod Classic and the suggestion to hold center button and menu does not work. I get a message that says "www.apple.com/support/ipod". It tells me how to force a restart which doesn't work. Anyone know how to fix this?

[Re-titled by Moderator]

iPod Classic

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 10:03 AM

I've just had a look at the instructions on the page you came from (link at the top of this page), for the iPod Classic.

I seem to recall that one had to put the iPod's Hold switch on (locked), then off (unlocked) and then immediately press the Menu and Centre buttons for up to 8 seconds. So two points there, which are not mentioned in those instructions:

1. turn the Hold switch to the locked position, then to the unlocked position
    2. immediately press-and-hold the Menu and Centre buttons until the Apple logo appears

What are the symptoms that makes you want to re-start the iPod? The Classic has a hard drive inside it and if that has failed (as they do), you will probably not be able to restart it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2023 10:03 AM in response to kykid77

I've just had a look at the instructions on the page you came from (link at the top of this page), for the iPod Classic.

I seem to recall that one had to put the iPod's Hold switch on (locked), then off (unlocked) and then immediately press the Menu and Centre buttons for up to 8 seconds. So two points there, which are not mentioned in those instructions:

1. turn the Hold switch to the locked position, then to the unlocked position
    2. immediately press-and-hold the Menu and Centre buttons until the Apple logo appears

What are the symptoms that makes you want to re-start the iPod? The Classic has a hard drive inside it and if that has failed (as they do), you will probably not be able to restart it.

Fifth Generation iPod Classic tells me how to force a restart which doesn't work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.