You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buy a new macbook pro or fix logic board?

I have a faulty logic board in my 3 yr old 2020 16" MacBook pro. I maxed out all specs when I bought it paying roughly $5,000 (processor, RAM and HD). Out of nowhere the logic board went. The machine was never dropped, spilled on, etc. LB repair sounds like it'll run about $700-$800 with a 90 day warranty. Im just worried that this machine can be prone to frying LBs. Anyone else run into a similar situation? Any recommendations are helpful.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 6:51 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 11, 2023 8:35 AM in response to dru_nasty

dru_nasty wrote:

I have a faulty logic board in my 3 yr old 2020 16" MacBook pro. I maxed out all specs when I bought it paying roughly $5,000 (processor, RAM and HD). Out of nowhere the logic board went. The machine was never dropped, spilled on, etc. LB repair sounds like it'll run about $700-$800 with a 90 day warranty. Im just worried that this machine can be prone to frying LBs. Anyone else run into a similar situation? Any recommendations are helpful.

There is no 2020 16"....(?)

There is a Intel 2019 16" MBP or M1 2021 16" MBP

Yes—I have heard some issue on the Logic board with the 2019 Intel...

I would not buy a Mac today without the Applecare+ which then gives you the option to extend the coverage annually...

AppleCare Products - Mac - Apple

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage - Apple Support

Buy a new macbook pro or fix logic board?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.