Lost / Stolen iPhone - next steps?

Hi there

i lost my iPhone 8+ and the people who found it have chosen not to to return it. I also have an iPad Pro and pay $4.50/month for some kinda service that was to allow me to save pics and info between my iPhone and iPad. What are my next steps please and what else can I do to get My phone back or render it totally useless to incite the thieves to at least return it?

Ive located my phone to an apartment bldg but can’t determine further with 150 suites in the bldg

im also afraid to erase the contents as I’m not sure the pics and info will be saved in the iCloud service I pay for monthly - how do I check please ?

Any other strategic ideas you can share will be appreciated greatly

Thank you for your help with this. Ash

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 12:41 PM

This support article has a list of things to do if your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen. --> If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Thre is nothing you can do to induce them to return the device. If you had Find My set up on the device and a passcode then the thieves will find it to be useless and will probably toss it in the garbage.

If all your devices were signed into iCloud then signing into iCloud one the iPad should result in your content appearing on it.

This document basically tells you how to sign into iCloud --> Set up iCloud on all your devices --> Sign in to iCloud on all your devices - Apple Support

Change which apps sync and store data with iCloud - Apple Support -

"When you turn on iCloud for an app, its information is safely stored in iCloud and automatically kept in sync across your devices. When you turn it off, the app will no longer connect with iCloud, so your data will exist only on your device. You can choose which apps on your device you'd like to use iCloud, or turn off iCloud completely."

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2023 12:41 PM in response to AshSilva

This support article has a list of things to do if your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen. --> If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Thre is nothing you can do to induce them to return the device. If you had Find My set up on the device and a passcode then the thieves will find it to be useless and will probably toss it in the garbage.

If all your devices were signed into iCloud then signing into iCloud one the iPad should result in your content appearing on it.

This document basically tells you how to sign into iCloud --> Set up iCloud on all your devices --> Sign in to iCloud on all your devices - Apple Support

Change which apps sync and store data with iCloud - Apple Support -

"When you turn on iCloud for an app, its information is safely stored in iCloud and automatically kept in sync across your devices. When you turn it off, the app will no longer connect with iCloud, so your data will exist only on your device. You can choose which apps on your device you'd like to use iCloud, or turn off iCloud completely."

Lost / Stolen iPhone - next steps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.