Can't setup Touch ID with new M2 Mac Mini

I am setting up my new M2 Mini. I am using an Apple Magic Keyboard with touch ID. The Mini won't let me put in my fingerprints. First problem was the Passwords and Touch ID button does not appear in the System Settings sidebar. A restart made it appear. Then it went away again. Seems like I can logout and back in or restart and that menu button comes back but as soon as I try to do anything with it, it goes away again.

When it was there, it would just tell me that a password had been set for the computer and offered a "change" button. I changed it, but then when I tried to enter a fingerprint or even click any of the buttons to authorize fingerprint use in various places, it would just take me back to the "password has been set" page. Changing the password does nothing. When I got the page where you enter fingerprints, nothing works there.

Any suggestions?

Mac mini, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 12:42 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 11, 2023 1:57 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks. I just did this and it seemed to work. I found this suggestion among others via Googling. The instruction was to turn off the keyboard, plug it into the computer using a FireWire to C cable, then turn it back on. If touch works, you can unplug the keyboard.

That worked well enough to get fingerprints into it, but then the first time I tried to use it, it did not work. All the buttons for where to use it were turned back off. And once again, I could make no changes. So, no good so far.

Jul 12, 2023 12:04 PM in response to den.thed

Called Apple Tech Support. We got it working. Went through various steps to check if various settings were correct. Restarted. Nothing changed after restart. Yesterday, at some point, I had managed to put in 3 fingerprints, but the buttons to make Touch ID work for various uses were all off and could not be turned on, so the prints were useless.

The support guy had me plug the keyboard into the computer with the charging cable, as you had suggested. Keyboard turned on when I plugged it in. Then, he had me turn off the keyboard with the switch and leave it off for 30 seconds, then switch it back on. And at that point, all the buttons lit up, now set to ON.

Tried Touch ID with computer sign in, worked fine, tried it with my 1PW password manager, that worked fine. So, for the time being at least, we are up and running.

For typing, I use a Vissles mechanical keyboard, hooked up with USB. I just use the Magic Keyboard, on Bluetooth, for Touch ID. I wish Apple, or someone, would sell a small standalone Touch ID fingerprint reader.

Can't setup Touch ID with new M2 Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.