Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

touch id login option no longer presented. control panel grayed out on MacOS 12.3.

Standard user account on M1 iMac MacOS 12.3.

Touch ID capable wireless keyboard.

Last week, Touch ID no longer enabled me to unlock the machine. The login screen after sleep only allowed password entry.

I deleted the fingerprint and re-set it back up. Things worked as expected for a few days.

This week, same thing. But short of deleting the fingerprint, I wanted to check and uncheck some of the boxes in that preference. On this preference pane, there is no Unlock icon to release control to me to edit the options. I cannot add a fingerprint; the only option is to remove the fingerprint.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 7:00 AM

Q - " Standard user account on M1 iMac MacOS 12.3.Touch ID capable wireless keyboard."

A - Use Touch ID on Mac

Use Touch ID to unlock your Mac, log in, or switch users

To use Touch ID for these tasks, you must have logged in to your Mac already by entering your password.

• Unlock your Mac and some password-protected items: When you wake your Mac from sleep, or open a password-protected item, just place your finger on Touch ID when asked.
  • Log in from the login window: Click your name in the login window, then place your finger on Touch ID.
  • Only user accounts that have passwords can be unlocked with Touch ID. Sharing-only users and guest users cannot use Touch ID.
  • Switch users: Click the fast user switching menu  in the menu bar, choose a different user, then place your finger on Touch ID.
  • To use Touch ID to switch to another user, you need to have set up fast user switching, and the user you switch to must have logged in to the Mac already by entering a password.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If the Administrator of this computer has restricted access to the Standard User Account - one may need to speak to the Admin User

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2022 7:00 AM in response to Krslamarmed

Q - " Standard user account on M1 iMac MacOS 12.3.Touch ID capable wireless keyboard."

A - Use Touch ID on Mac

Use Touch ID to unlock your Mac, log in, or switch users

To use Touch ID for these tasks, you must have logged in to your Mac already by entering your password.

• Unlock your Mac and some password-protected items: When you wake your Mac from sleep, or open a password-protected item, just place your finger on Touch ID when asked.
  • Log in from the login window: Click your name in the login window, then place your finger on Touch ID.
  • Only user accounts that have passwords can be unlocked with Touch ID. Sharing-only users and guest users cannot use Touch ID.
  • Switch users: Click the fast user switching menu  in the menu bar, choose a different user, then place your finger on Touch ID.
  • To use Touch ID to switch to another user, you need to have set up fast user switching, and the user you switch to must have logged in to the Mac already by entering a password.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If the Administrator of this computer has restricted access to the Standard User Account - one may need to speak to the Admin User

touch id login option no longer presented. control panel grayed out on MacOS 12.3.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.