Transferring data to computer

I had a pc with a heck of a lot of stuff on its hard drive. Unfortunately for me the hard drive got fried. A tech was able to recover the entire hard drive and put it on a flash drive. Now I am trying to add the entire contents into my new iMac. How this is done is a puzzle to me as I cannot find the flash drive even though it is plugged into the iMac.

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 8:03 AM

Are you even in Finder?

Preferences is not a tab. Preferences is an item in the Finder Menu at the very top of the screen.

If you are running macOS Ventura, it would be called Settings not Preferences.

Finder is the smiley face on the dock.

The USB drive, assuming it iS formatted in a way the Mac can read, should appear in Finder or even the desktop if the option is turned on and will appear with whatever name it was given. It may not say "USB drive" if that is what you are looking for.

Make sure External Drives is checked in the Finder Settings.

If you post a screen shot of your Finder window, we can see if it appears there.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2023 8:03 AM in response to watch2018

Are you even in Finder?

Preferences is not a tab. Preferences is an item in the Finder Menu at the very top of the screen.

If you are running macOS Ventura, it would be called Settings not Preferences.

Finder is the smiley face on the dock.

The USB drive, assuming it iS formatted in a way the Mac can read, should appear in Finder or even the desktop if the option is turned on and will appear with whatever name it was given. It may not say "USB drive" if that is what you are looking for.

Make sure External Drives is checked in the Finder Settings.

If you post a screen shot of your Finder window, we can see if it appears there.

Transferring data to computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.