Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

"Charging on Hold" - MacBook Pro 2023 M2 Max - CalDigit Ethernet Hub

The first month with my MacBook Pro 2023 M2 Max, I left it plugged in all the time. I was told that Optimized Battery Charging makes it safe for me to do so without damaging the battery.

I got a CalDigit Ethernet hub, which provides an additional 80w of charging. I don't want this additional charging power because I leave it plugged into the magsafe power supply all the time anyway. CalDigit tells me that their hub will not provide this additional power because the laptop is able to tell that it's plugged into the apple magsafe power supply.

However, I've been getting a "Charging on Hold" icon ever since I've had this CalDigit Ethernet hub. Is the laptop able to tell that it's plugged into the apple power supply, and therefore able to turn off additional power coming from the Ethernet hub? If not, will it damage the battery?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 9:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 3:22 AM

Hi there,

This is due to optimized battery charging

When Optimized Battery Charging is active, the battery status menu displays when your Mac will be fully charged or whether charging is on hold. If you keep your notebook connected to power most of the time, you might see the message "Charging On Hold (Rarely Used On Battery)" when charging is paused.

See this link for further reference

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2023 3:22 AM in response to ykt28403

Hi there,

This is due to optimized battery charging

When Optimized Battery Charging is active, the battery status menu displays when your Mac will be fully charged or whether charging is on hold. If you keep your notebook connected to power most of the time, you might see the message "Charging On Hold (Rarely Used On Battery)" when charging is paused.

See this link for further reference

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac - Apple Support

Aug 12, 2023 4:17 PM in response to ykt28403

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which could be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. Your Mac will NEVER over-charge. 

Your MacBook Pro  uses ‘smart charging’ to charge in the optimum way, and only when necessary. Plugged in is Not necessarily actively charging. There is substantial hardware and software cooperating on battery and charging issues. Simply asserting a charging voltage against one of the interface(s) will NOT successfully charge your MacBook Pro.

Any external power supply that provides "USB Power Delivery" (including certain Docks and Displays) must negotiate over the USB cable using USB Power Delivery Protocol, and can not 'force itself' on your Mac. The Voltage and Current are delivered only after your Mac requests and the charger agrees to supply power under certain controlled conditions. The computer is in control of the entire process.

Apple has said that the BEST power source will be used, and all others will be ignored. Users report that Might be true, but it seems like the Mac often chooses the first one it encounters, and if that is enough, it ignores all others. Your Mac never actively uses more than one at a time. Connect as many power sources as you like, charging is under computer control.

Jul 26, 2023 11:04 AM in response to ykt28403

The CalDigit Ethernet hub provides 80w of power to recharge laptops. I leave it plugged into my MacBook Pro 2023 M2 Max all the time.

When I plug the CalDigit hub into the Thunderbolt 4 port on the right side of my MacBook Pro, the laptop remains charged at 100% and the "Charging on Hold" icon no longer appears.

However, when I plug the CalDigit hub into either of the Thunderbolt 4 ports on the left side of the MacBook Pro, the battery discharges to 80% and the "Charging on Hold" icon appears.

Do the Thunderbolt 4 ports on the left side of the MacBook Pro 2023 M2 Max accept power, even when the Apple magsafe power supply is connected? Can this damage the battery over time? I leave the laptop connected to both the Apple magsafe power supply and the CalDigit hub all the time and may do so for weeks or months at a time.

Aug 12, 2023 3:55 PM in response to ykt28403

When I disconnect the CalDigit Ethernet Hub, my MacBook Pro charges back to 100% and stays there, even when Optimized Battery Charging is on.

When I connect the CalDigit Ethernet Hub (which I need to do in order to use my external hard drives), it goes back to "Charging on Hold" at 80%.

Is my MacBook Pro getting more power than it's supposed to be getting? I've got the Apple magsafe power supply connected (140w), and the Ethernet Hub is providing an additional 80w. I've heard that the MacBook Pro should be able to tell which power source most closely matches the OEM charger and only draw power from that; but it seems to be drawing power from both the magsafe power supply and the Ethernet Hub.

Will this damage my battery over time? I leave both the magsafe power supply and the Ethernet Hub plugged in all the time.

"Charging on Hold" - MacBook Pro 2023 M2 Max - CalDigit Ethernet Hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.