Stand Notifications Not Consistent

The ONLY reason I got an Apple Watch was for the stand feature. I work from home and tend to get hyper focused and will be stuck at my desk for hours. I’ve noticed that my stand alert doesn’t always go off. The other day I got one stand count at 8am, then checked the clock and it was 11am and I received no notices to stand and still had just the one count.

I’ve read all the things and all the settings are on. Some days it does go off regularly. I just can’t seem to figure out what’s going on. I’ve tried different bands but it just seems it’s hit or miss.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 8

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 10:47 AM

Hello riazada,

This discussion post has an Apple recommended answer - Time to Stand notification not working - Apple Community. Please let me know if this works!

You can also read this if you believe you're not wearing your Apple Watch properly - Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support.

14 replies

Jul 13, 2023 12:06 PM in response to riazada

Could you elaborate further on what you have tried? Saying "I’ve read all the things and all the settings are on" doesn't give us much to go off of.

From what you've given me, all I can recommend is following Time to Stand notification not working - Apple Community, to force restart your Apple Watch - Restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support, or maybe even trying a factory reset.

I will say the Series 3 is an old watch and does not support watchOS 9 or watchOS 10 (coming this Fall). I don't believe this would affect Stand progress, but it is something to consider.

Jul 13, 2023 3:48 PM in response to riazada

I can hyper focused and not notice the stand reminder. My wife may actually point out it is time to stand.

The opposite is also true. I’ll hear my wife’s Apple Watch stand reminder go off, and have to encourage her to stand.

Being hyper focused can affect the things we notice in our environment.

I have an alternative to the Apple Watch stand reminder. The iPhone “Alarmed” app from Yoctoville. I set an alarm each day starting at a specific hour. The alarm has an hourly “DayMinder” so it repeats each hour. Within the hour, I have the “Nag-Me” feature enabled to repeat every 10 minutes until I dismiss it.

Yes I get lots of alarms on my Apple Watch, at least until I stand and dismiss them (obviously actually standing is optional as far as the Alarmed app is concerned; but it works well to get me standing when I’m hyper focused).

Apr 18, 2024 2:08 PM in response to alwaysannoyedguy

alwaysannoyedguy wrote:

I'm sure it, for some things, but for hourly stand reminders that stop after you've completed X times? This fitness app is supposed to do this, but it does not. I get totally arbitrary reminders when I least need them.

The hourly stand reminders on the Watch will keep reminding you unless you have sleep mode enabled. They don't stop when you've reached your goal.

Apr 25, 2024 12:47 PM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

If I may anticipate your next question, yes I did contact AppleCare. They had no clue and no suggestions.

I'm not sure that would have been my next suggestion. I think my next suggestion would be to turn off sleep tracking on both devices, make an offering to the gods of tech by turning them both off and then turning sleep tracking on again. I would probably also try turning Stand Notifications off and back on. Pretty generic suggestions that you've probably also tried.

Stand Notifications Not Consistent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.