Apple Pencil skips and makes huge marks - brushes with pressure sensitivity are malfunctioning

My apple pencil in Procreate and other art apps makes thin lines, skips, then suddenly only makes hugely thick lines. I want to use it for art and calligraphy, but this problem is persistent and makes that impossible.

Does anyone have a fix beyond:

• unpairing and repairing in Bluetooth (tried it)
  • restarting the iPad Pro (tried it)
  • checking the level of charge (it's fully charged)
  • cleaning the screen or taking off a screen protector (which I do not have)
  • replacing the pencil tip, which I have done
  • telling me it's user error - it's persistent and other users of my iPad Pro get the same results

Thanks for your help, team!

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 4:15 PM

Ensure that the user-replaceable Pencil tip is snugly screwed into position; when fitted correctly you should see a tiny gap, of about the thickness of a sheet of paper, between the tip and pencil body. If slightly loosened, or overtightened, the Pencil may not work properly, if at all.

If the problem remain unresolved, your iPad may have a screen hardware fault.

You would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) where you will be able to demonstrate the problem - and the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and Pencil. If a fault is confirmed, you’ll be in the best possible place to explore your available options.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2023 4:15 PM in response to BeautyJones

Ensure that the user-replaceable Pencil tip is snugly screwed into position; when fitted correctly you should see a tiny gap, of about the thickness of a sheet of paper, between the tip and pencil body. If slightly loosened, or overtightened, the Pencil may not work properly, if at all.

If the problem remain unresolved, your iPad may have a screen hardware fault.

You would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) where you will be able to demonstrate the problem - and the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and Pencil. If a fault is confirmed, you’ll be in the best possible place to explore your available options.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apple Pencil skips and makes huge marks - brushes with pressure sensitivity are malfunctioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.