Mail delivery failure

Occasionally I get a message on Mail that says Mail Deliver Failure when I send a message to certain email address.

Why does this happen?

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 1:37 PM

Dr.Phillipe wrote:

Occasionally I get a message on Mail that says Mail Deliver Failure when I send a message to certain email address.

Why does this happen?

What does the error message say?

The non-delivery could be for any of a number of reasons:

• Attachment too large
  • Incorrect email address
  • email server down
  • Recipient's email server down
  • Any node between you and the recipient down
  • Bad Internet connection
  • Email flagged as spam

Examine the returned email message headers to find a possible indication as to why the email was not delivered.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2023 1:37 PM in response to Dr.Phillipe

Dr.Phillipe wrote:

Why does this happen?

What does the error message say?

The non-delivery could be for any of a number of reasons:

• Attachment too large
  • Incorrect email address
  • email server down
  • Recipient's email server down
  • Any node between you and the recipient down
  • Bad Internet connection
  • Email flagged as spam

Examine the returned email message headers to find a possible indication as to why the email was not delivered.

Jul 13, 2023 3:48 PM in response to Dr.Phillipe

Dr.Phillipe wrote:

The message seems to state too many emails on the account, is there a way to increase the amount of messages can be on the account?

It is not clear where there are too many emails. Many email service providers limit the number of addressees for each email sent. This is a spam prevention measure. Or maybe the recipient's email account is full and can not accept any more emails. You have to be more specific regarding what the header/message states.

Jul 13, 2023 8:20 PM in response to Dr.Phillipe

Dr.Phillipe wrote:

Bob, this is our company email system, it seem to not allow any additional email to be accepted after a certain amount is in our account I am currently around 23750 and still receiving emails but if that qty goes beyond 24000 it stops. Can that top quality be extended. We generally keep emails back 2 year on the account.

It sounds like your email system storage is full. I don't think this is an Apple issue but rather a server issue. Have your IT Admin research the issue.

Mail delivery failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.