Adding a folding line in middle of page

I would like to add a dotted line in the middle of a wide (A3 sized) page so that it eases folding the printed paper sheet afterwards (two A4 sized pages from the same A3 sheet, when folded in half).

As for entering text: it should be possible to write text to each half independantly (i.e. just like two actual pages).

Is this possible to do?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 2:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 3:49 AM

Hi osmanthus,

I find these Alignment Guides to be really useful. They appear as you drag an object and conveniently disappear when they are no longer needed. They do not print.

Menu > Pages > Settings > Rulers > Alignment Guides.

Here is an A3 Word Processing document at 75% Zoom and Menu > View > Show Rulers.

Left and right margins are equal (both 2 cm).

Insert a Line Shape, rotate to vertical and drag it until an Alignment Guide appears (at 21 cm in my document).

That is your fold line.

Format Panel > Text > Layout > Columns > 2

Menu > Insert > Column Break (the horizontal blue line on the left half page in my document).

Now you can freely add text to the left and right half pages.

If you prefer to use a Page Layout document, take a look for ideas at Template Chooser > Cards > Photo Card Vertical.

Note: Page Layout documents use Text Boxes, not body text.

Regards,

Ian.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2023 3:49 AM in response to osmanthus

Hi osmanthus,

I find these Alignment Guides to be really useful. They appear as you drag an object and conveniently disappear when they are no longer needed. They do not print.

Menu > Pages > Settings > Rulers > Alignment Guides.

Here is an A3 Word Processing document at 75% Zoom and Menu > View > Show Rulers.

Left and right margins are equal (both 2 cm).

Insert a Line Shape, rotate to vertical and drag it until an Alignment Guide appears (at 21 cm in my document).

That is your fold line.

Format Panel > Text > Layout > Columns > 2

Menu > Insert > Column Break (the horizontal blue line on the left half page in my document).

Now you can freely add text to the left and right half pages.

If you prefer to use a Page Layout document, take a look for ideas at Template Chooser > Cards > Photo Card Vertical.

Note: Page Layout documents use Text Boxes, not body text.

Regards,

Ian.

Adding a folding line in middle of page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.