Mac Mini to Dell S2422HZ monitor connection

I bought a Mac Mini M2 Pro this week.

Besides connecting the monitor to Mac Mini with an HDMI cable (I bought Belkin Ultra HD High Speed 8K/4K cable, 2 meter from my Apple Store), what do I have to buy to get the pop-up webcam and speakers on the Dell monitor to work? Thank you.

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 11:20 AM

14 replies

Jul 20, 2023 7:53 AM in response to gracie4444

Haha, good to know I wasn’t being “targeted” 😁

As for your solution:

• Good work with updating the firmware. I would uninstall the antivirus ASAP as they mess things up too. This is important! Do not install any AV product on your Mac, they all spell trouble
  • And be aware that Dell’s all-for-one USB-C connection has been known in the past to cause displays to behave strangely (when used with Desktop Macs, not laptops). Keep an eye for that and switch to C-less HDMI + USB A if that happens

Jul 20, 2023 7:08 AM in response to BDAqua

Check this out…the forum’s notification process has gone haywire after your post. I’ve reported it for that reason, and because it’s still going on, reporting this post too. I could stop following this discussion to force it to stop but not doing it right now so Apple can troubleshoot (who knows, this post might kill it too.)

Jul 15, 2023 6:41 AM in response to hcsitas

Thanks for this comment. (I was actually wondering why the associate at my Apple store sold me a 2 meter HDMI cable, so I looked online, and maybe that's the only one they are selling right now.)

Is this a good choice for the USB cable: Insignia - 4' USB-C to USB-A Charge-and-Sync Cable

Or is this one better: Belkin - BoostCharge Braided USB-C to USB-A Cable (1m / 3.3ft, White)

Jul 20, 2023 4:06 AM in response to hcsitas

Through some trial and error (about 6 hours worth) and reading a lot of helpful hints from the community, I disconnected the HDMI to HDMI cable, and left in place the USB-C to USB-C cable that came with the monitor. The Mac Mini recognized the monitor while the monitor searched for it's connection. The Mac Mini's desktop appeared.

I logged in to the computer,

connected to the internet,

installed antivirus software,

successfully downloaded and installed a DELL firmware update,

and tested the webcam.

I set up a Zoom meeting, and the webcam was awesome. Sound was very soft, even though I raised the volume on the Mac as high as it would go. The volume control of the monitor didn't respond.

I turned everything off and came back later. This time I could adjust the volume control, so I'll test it all out with another Zoom meeting today. I think I'll be all set.

Jul 20, 2023 7:31 AM in response to hcsitas

hcsitas,

Thank for letting me know that this was happening on Apple's side. I got 11 emails from Apple Support Communities with the messages you copied above. LOL!

When this all settles down, I hope I can find the original replies so I can thank all the people who gave me ideas on how to get the Dell monitor to play nice with my Mac Mini. The person who suggested just using only the USB-C to USB-C cord that came with the monitor happened to be the person who solved the issue. (Instead of me using the USB plus the HDMI cable) Once I did that, the Mac's Display setting in System Preferences showed just one display, I no longer lost my cursor, and now I just have to see if the sound from the monitor is loud enough to hear folks on a Zoom call. Here's hoping...

Jul 20, 2023 8:28 AM in response to gracie4444

YEAH! The Dell monitor's speakers are working well in a Zoom Meeting I had just now. I have the monitor's speakers set to 100% and with the Mac keyboard, I lowered the sound to about 80%.

Actually, the monitor's speakers are better than the tinny sounding speaker in the Mac Mini. That's the next thing I'll be investigating in the Apple Support Community postings. I'd like to learn how Mac Mini users get their internal Mac Mini speakers to sound good, if not great.

Mac Mini to Dell S2422HZ monitor connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.