Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Can't connect to app store to update Mac Mini 2012

Restored Mac Mini late 2012 to 10.8.5 and want to update to 10.15.7 Catalina. Cannot connect to app store on this computer for some reason. On my Mac Mini 2023, the app store will not let me download Catalina - says not compatible with this MacOS (Ventura). I wanted to make a bootable flash drive.

Mac mini

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 4:52 AM

Jtag324 wrote:

Restored Mac Mini late 2012 to 10.8.5 and want to update to 10.15.7 Catalina. Cannot connect to app store on this computer for some reason. On my Mac Mini 2023, the app store will not let me download Catalina - says not compatible with this MacOS (Ventura). I wanted to make a bootable flash drive.

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2023 4:52 AM in response to Jtag324

Jtag324 wrote:

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

Aug 1, 2023 2:40 PM in response to BDAqua

Restored Mac Mini late 2012 to 10.8.5 via the internet. 10.8.5 is basically a dead end because you can’t connect to the App Store and Safari doesn’t work in 10.8.5 either. I made a bootable drive from my wife’s iMac (Sierra 10.12.6). I think doing a restore via internet constrains you to the MacOS that the Mac originally shipped with - 10.8.5 which was useless - no App Store, no working browser. End of life.

Can't connect to app store to update Mac Mini 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.