Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Accessing Locked Apple ID Under Unique Circumstances

I am currently trying to regain access to an old Apple ID that I created about 11-12 years ago. I know the email associated with the account and also have access to that email. However, I have forgotten the password for the account and the three security questions I made when I created the account. There was never a 2-Factor authentication set up with the account as that was not available at the time I created the account. That leaves only one other method of regaining access to my account, which is accessing the recovery email tied to the account. Unfortunately, this recovery email was shut down by Yahoo due to inactivity. I have reached out to Yahoo about re-opening or recreating that account but they informed me it was not possible and that the account was no longer accessible.

Those are the circumstances around my question. My actual question is: If I am able to remember the password and enter it correctly when trying to log back into the account, will I be able to access the account or will it still require me to answer the security questions in addition to using the correct password? As of right now, I am asked to answer the security questions no matter what I enter into the password section. I was curious if that meant that everything I have entered into the password section has been incorrect or if I would still need to answer the security questions even if I had used the correct password.

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 6:50 AM

With this account not being Two Factor Authentication you won't be able to use Account recovery. Without being singed into at least one trusted device you won't be able to turn off the security questions by turning on two factor which is the only way. Your only option would be to try to reset your security questions, and that is not always an option. You can try though. Follow this article to reset your security questions:

Change your Apple ID security questions - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2023 6:50 AM in response to Myroyes

With this account not being Two Factor Authentication you won't be able to use Account recovery. Without being singed into at least one trusted device you won't be able to turn off the security questions by turning on two factor which is the only way. Your only option would be to try to reset your security questions, and that is not always an option. You can try though. Follow this article to reset your security questions:

Change your Apple ID security questions - Apple Support

Jul 17, 2023 6:53 AM in response to muguy

Unfortunately, that page hasn't been able to help me access the account. I should have added that despite the fact I do have access to the main email the Apple ID is tied to, I am still unable to reset the password as any attempt to reset the password leads to me being asked to answer security questions or to check the email sent to the inbox that has been permanently shut down. When I click the link to begin account recovery it just brings me to the reset password page which I cannot do.

Jul 17, 2023 7:00 AM in response to Myroyes

If you can't reset the security questions you won't be able to recover it at this point. If you can remember the password you should be able to get back in, and then reset the security questions. The security questions are in place for those who forget their password, if you don't know neither then you are out of luck. If you can remember the password then you can regain access and reset the security questions.

Accessing Locked Apple ID Under Unique Circumstances

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.