Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

"Family" in activity monitor "Not Responding"

I have 2 instances of "Family" in the activity monitor and one of them has the icon that you see in system settings under family sharing and it appears to run fine. The Second instance has a greyed out icon and it stops responding all the time. I DO NOT have any 3rd party software on my MacBook and never had any family software or bit defender. When I restart my MacBook Pro M1Max running Ventura "Family" is not running. When I go to system settings and click on iCloud it pops up so this is clearly an Apple process not a third party and I am having trouble sharing screens and some other strange behaviors with my iCloud account so I am wondering if this has anything to do with it. I really am just looking to understand what this "family" process really is and if it is iCloud related.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 12:54 PM

Bdnordo wrote:

I have 2 instances of "Family" in the activity monitor and one of them has the icon that you see in system settings under family sharing and it appears to run fine. The Second instance has a greyed out icon and it stops responding all the time. I DO NOT have any 3rd party software on my MacBook and never had any family software or bit defender. When I restart my MacBook Pro M1Max running Ventura "Family" is not running.

When I go to system settings and click on iCloud it pops up so this is clearly an Apple process not a third party and I am having trouble sharing screens and some other strange behaviors with my iCloud account so I am wondering if this has anything to do with it. I really am just looking to understand what this "family" process really is and if it is iCloud related.

try signing out of iCloud and back in again

Sign out of iCloud on your...Mac.

I do not use family or sharing... and this is what I see by default:

ref: Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

no insight or resolve—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2023 12:54 PM in response to Bdnordo

Bdnordo wrote:

I have 2 instances of "Family" in the activity monitor and one of them has the icon that you see in system settings under family sharing and it appears to run fine. The Second instance has a greyed out icon and it stops responding all the time. I DO NOT have any 3rd party software on my MacBook and never had any family software or bit defender. When I restart my MacBook Pro M1Max running Ventura "Family" is not running.

When I go to system settings and click on iCloud it pops up so this is clearly an Apple process not a third party and I am having trouble sharing screens and some other strange behaviors with my iCloud account so I am wondering if this has anything to do with it. I really am just looking to understand what this "family" process really is and if it is iCloud related.

try signing out of iCloud and back in again

Sign out of iCloud on your...Mac.

I do not use family or sharing... and this is what I see by default:

ref: Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

no insight or resolve—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

"Family" in activity monitor "Not Responding"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.