Changed Yahoo password, yahoo stopped sending email to Mac mail, "authentication failed" message.

I changed my yahoo password and when I try to log in under "Accounts" I get a message that authentication failed, please try again later." Nothing seems to be working. I tried changing password again. I am able to get yahoo mail on my iPhone but not on my Mac laptop for 2 weeks now. Would deleting and adding the Yahoo account to Mail do anything? Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 5:49 PM

Mac's Mail App is not as modern as iOS's Mail app, Many eMail providers now require a separate App Password different from your eMail password…

Yahoo has gone to this too...

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/access-yahoo-mail-third-party-apps-sln15241.html

Yahoo App password…

Generate and manage third-party app passwords

Some older, third-party email apps (that do not use our Yahoo branded sign in page) require you to enter a single password for login credentials. To access your Yahoo Mail account on these apps, you'll need to generate and use an app password. An app password is a long, randomly generated code that gives a non-Yahoo app permission to access your Yahoo account. You’ll only need to provide this code once to sign in to your third-party email app.

If an IMAP account it may require removing the account, then setting it up using the "Other" button instead of Yahoo.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2023 5:49 PM in response to BSG61

Mac's Mail App is not as modern as iOS's Mail app, Many eMail providers now require a separate App Password different from your eMail password…

Yahoo has gone to this too...

Yahoo App password…

Generate and manage third-party app passwords

Some older, third-party email apps (that do not use our Yahoo branded sign in page) require you to enter a single password for login credentials. To access your Yahoo Mail account on these apps, you'll need to generate and use an app password. An app password is a long, randomly generated code that gives a non-Yahoo app permission to access your Yahoo account. You’ll only need to provide this code once to sign in to your third-party email app.

If an IMAP account it may require removing the account, then setting it up using the "Other" button instead of Yahoo.

Jul 17, 2023 7:55 PM in response to BSG61

It's unknown what Apple fills in when choosing one of the Pre-made buttons, but in many cases "Other" made the difference my friend...

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

• Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 993
  • Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

• Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires authentication - Yes

Your login info

• Email address - Your full email address (name@domain.com)
  • Password - Generate App Password
  • Requires authentication - Yes

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html?

Mar 27, 2024 2:01 PM in response to BSG61

I see a number of offerings for setting up Apple Mail when yahoo has your email. Is there some final detailed instruction set guaranteed to work for setting up Apple Mail? I'm facing the same darn problem and have been searching for a solution.

I have set up and iPhone and iPad that work fine and my iMac (Ventura) for web mail for my three email addresses. I'd like to set up POP mail accounts and That's where my life starts falling apart. Questions:

• do I set up using the Yahoo or the "other" button.
  • Where do I use the generated password in the process.
  • note that I will have an old email set up for Frontier servers; do I need to edit the server list to delete these? (ie mailbox named "X" goes to Frontier POP & SMTP server & I now want them to go to Yahoo.

These problems are thrust upon me. Frontier, bless their souls is abandoning their email accounts and sending us all over to Yahoo. However they are letting us keep our current email address and a passwords. I am lead to believe these are ours to keep perpetuity, so I can eventually ditch Frontier and move on to a better ISP and still use Yahoo.

Jul 18, 2023 6:35 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks again! I hit "rebuild" on the yahoo mailbox was one of the attempted fixes which simply removed any remaining mail. Since I do have a Yahoo mail account, I am still able to access my email but logging in there via the web. So now next to Yahoo account, there is simply ~.

My question is: If I delete and re-add the yahoo account to Mac Mail - and am successful - will the mail from web-based Yahoo then repopulate into my Mac mail account? Many thanks.

Jul 18, 2023 1:12 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks. I deleted and tried to re-add the Yahoo account to Mac Mail. Tried both the "Other" button method as you suggested and the "Yahoo" account method, neither worked. It did show the IMAP server info to be correct. Reached "unable to verify account" and "unable to authenticate with yahoo, try again later" messages.

Oh well....

Jul 18, 2023 1:44 PM in response to BSG61

Success! I went to Yahoo.com and at the below link accessed the one time app password, and using the "Other" tab method you suggested, I copied and pasted this into the password field when I re-added my Yahoo account to Mail (as using the Yahoo tab again method did not work.). I copied and pasted the one time app password and it works! I was able to re-add the Yahoo account and my mail has again repopulated. Phew, what a relief! Thanks again for your help!!!

https://login.yahoo.com/myaccount/security/?src=ym&activity=ybar-addacct&pspid=159600001&done=https%3A%2F%2Fmail.yahoo.com%2F&scrumb=bIekVGRKtMt&anchorId=appPasswordCard

Aug 1, 2023 8:48 AM in response to YahooFailedAuthentication

I am not an expert at this stuff but would suggest signing into your web-based yahoo account and find the Security tab which is probably under Account. You should find instructions to generate a one time app password. When you go back to your Mac mail yahoo account you will copy and paste this one time password. That's what worked for me, your mileage may vary.

Aug 1, 2023 9:09 AM in response to YahooFailedAuthentication

As I recall, I deleted my yahoo account from Mac mail before I generated the one time app password from my web-based yahoo account. I deleted the Mac Mail yahoo account, I re-added it and then I generated the app password from web yahoo and pasted it into Mac Mail password for that yahoo account. It worked for me but again, I am not an expert. I used trial and error.

Aug 1, 2023 9:22 AM in response to YahooFailedAuthentication

I did not use iCloud Keychain. I deleted my yahoo account from Mac Mail on my Mac Air laptop and then re-added it. I used Google to search "how to delete and re-add an account on Mac Mail". I'm not exactly sure how I did it but I think there are + and - signs in Mac mail if you go to Mail and then Accounts.

You should use the "Other" method as described above in this thread via the help of the other user. I'm sorry but there's not much else I can do today on this issue. Good luck.

Aug 1, 2023 10:02 AM in response to YahooFailedAuthentication

We don't know what is happening behind the scenes, but it appears Apple's built in helpfulness in setting up certain accounts refuses to accept the new requirements for security & auto sends out old existing info.

So it appears that if it's an IMAP account, the account needs to be removed & setup using "Other", then login to yahoo.com with a browser that doesn't have any yahoo.com login info stored in it to get the App PW. :)

Changed Yahoo password, yahoo stopped sending email to Mac mail, "authentication failed" message.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.