Starts in file question mode, no paired keyboard or mouse so I cannot command R into the option screen. How do I start it?

I start with the file with A question sign. The keyboard is wireless and new ( not paired). I. Annoy pair it because the Bluetooth is not on. What is the next step. There is no installed OS. How do I start it?

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 7:30 AM

Please clarify as your question is unclear.

You must invoke Command + R before the OS attempts to load. I suggest you connect your wireless KB to the Mac with its charging cable. This will make it a wired KB. Once you get your system straightened out, you can pair the KB wirelessly.

Loading the recovery panel (Command + R) is done in a very Short time period right after the Mac is powered up.

You got to be quick about it.

Apple says, "To start up from macOS Recovery, press the power button to turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold these two keys until you see an Apple logo or other image: Command (⌘) and R"

A real wired USB KB is a better approach as den.thed advises

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2023 7:30 AM in response to rafat150

Please clarify as your question is unclear.

You must invoke Command + R before the OS attempts to load. I suggest you connect your wireless KB to the Mac with its charging cable. This will make it a wired KB. Once you get your system straightened out, you can pair the KB wirelessly.

Loading the recovery panel (Command + R) is done in a very Short time period right after the Mac is powered up.

You got to be quick about it.

Apple says, "To start up from macOS Recovery, press the power button to turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold these two keys until you see an Apple logo or other image: Command (⌘) and R"

A real wired USB KB is a better approach as den.thed advises

Starts in file question mode, no paired keyboard or mouse so I cannot command R into the option screen. How do I start it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.