Connecting a MacBook Pro M2 to a 27" Thunderbolt Display?

I currently have a 27" Thunderbolt Display connected to my soon-to-be-retired MacBook Pro 2015 via the integrated Thunderbolt / MagSafe IO cable, which means the MacBook is powered by the display without the need to break out the standalone MacBook charger.

I've just picked up a new MacBook Pro M2 Max but still want to use the 27" Thunderbolt Display. 

Is there an integrated Thunderbolt 4 / MagSafe 3 cable that can plug directly into the back of the Thunderbolt Display or do I need to faff around with thunderbolt adaptors and separate MagSafe power leads now?

How do I connect the display to the new MacBook in the simplest / cleanest way?

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 8:51 AM

The simplest cleanest way to connect is to ignore or stow the old MagSafe cable. It is not compatible with MagSafe-3 feature on your new MacBook, and there will be no adapters forthcoming as the protocol is completely different as well as the shape.

If yours is model A1407 and has only TWO connectors, Thunderbolt-2 and MagSafe, the US$50 Apple ThunderBolt-3 <-> Thunderbolt-2 adapter is the one you need.

If yours is the A1316 Cinema Display, with an additional USB-A included in the lead-in cord, it is the Apple Cinema Display, and require only a Mini DisplayPort adapter from the new Mac's USB-C port. you can connect the USB with an adapter if you wish to use the USB ports on the display.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2023 8:51 AM in response to bpkersey

The simplest cleanest way to connect is to ignore or stow the old MagSafe cable. It is not compatible with MagSafe-3 feature on your new MacBook, and there will be no adapters forthcoming as the protocol is completely different as well as the shape.

If yours is model A1407 and has only TWO connectors, Thunderbolt-2 and MagSafe, the US$50 Apple ThunderBolt-3 <-> Thunderbolt-2 adapter is the one you need.

If yours is the A1316 Cinema Display, with an additional USB-A included in the lead-in cord, it is the Apple Cinema Display, and require only a Mini DisplayPort adapter from the new Mac's USB-C port. you can connect the USB with an adapter if you wish to use the USB ports on the display.

Connecting a MacBook Pro M2 to a 27" Thunderbolt Display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.